Chapter 53: Purpose

Suvron's Pass.

22nd Mazem, 1092.

Suvron's Pass was not meant for the light of heart. It was one of, if not the most damaged zones in the continent, having faced terrible devastation during the Calamity. Most of the earth was sunken far below sea level, leaving narrow irregular paths surrounded by rugged, sharp, tall cliffs,

Smoke belched from the abyss cast the path in perpetual darkness. The mountains, mostly devoid of life, was only known to house rock bats.

Kashi walked the path with his party, all of whom guided their horses by the reins rather than ride. Their caution was quite understandable, as the narrow path could barely contain the horses' wide frames. Any burst of anxiety could send both horse and rider over the edge.

Kashi eyed the bats fluttering around as if gauging whether to attack or not. "Keep your eyes open. We won't be safe until we leave this place..."

Residential Sector

Residential Sector.

16th May 2043.

It had almost been nine days since Kashi started his journey along Suvron's Pass, but it was just a little over a day in the real world. Suzuki stared at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. He wasn't sure how long he had been there, but five minutes later, he splashed some water on his face, then exited his room.

Suzuki wasn't surprised to see the rest of the gang chatting in the hole. It was one of their compulsory days off the gaming world with orders from above to spend their days doing whatever. They were engaged in talks over the news broadcasting on the screen.

"...It is with great pleasure that we announce the completion of Genaco's first space station. C.E.O of Genaco Corp, Jediah Kaguya Minako is reported to be the first civilian to visit it tomorrow..."

Suzuki listened with slight interest as he made his way to the kitchen. It was no secret Genaco had been attempting the project, and with the Nesla Coils, development must have somehow sped up. He bit down on an apple as another exciting piece of news was broadcasted.

"... In other news, tension continues to rise in southern Nigeria, where a huge structure nearing twenty-thousand feet continued to be kept heavily under wraps. The area has been designated as a no-flying zone by the local government, and attempts to recon using satellites have turned up futile. There are reports of countries threatening to invade, but without any concrete proof of a threat, it is understood any invaders would be held in contempt by the UN. Forces ha..."

Suzuki stared at the veiled still photo of the towering construct. He could understand the fear other countries faced. Something that massive was definitely not commercial and could pose a potent threat in the future if left unchecked. However, no one had the explicit right to demand answers from its owners, and if the Nigerian government stuck by their decision not to assist, then their hands were tied even further.