SIXTEEN

unedited

SIXTEEN. PART OF A FAMILY

"ALVAREZ, YOU'RE BEING STUPID," HOTCH SNAPPED, GLARING AT DAISY. He couldn't put his anger into words, watching as she sat in the Sheriff's truck, conscious but incapable of taking part in the raid. The darkness of the night concealed much of her face, so he could only see her shadowed side profile. Her hair had been taken out of its ponytail so that her head could be cleaned up, which meant the night breeze forced her to tuck strands behind her ears every few minutes. She was staring at the chapel, not listening to her boss. He had wanted her to go straight to the hospital, but she refused to go anywhere until she knew Emily and Spencer were safe. "Alvarez."

"Shh," she hushed him, holding up her finger as she tried to listen for anything from inside the building. Hotch clenched his jaw, having briefly forgotten how frustrating she was to be around. He looked away after a moment, trying to ease his own nerves. 

Daisy's knee bounced up and down anxiously and she picked at the skin around her nails. Her eyes remained on the entrance of the chapel, waiting for something to happen. 

Then, the building exploded in a ball of fiery inferno. She yelled in terror, feeling a rush of heat from the sudden detonation. 

She threw the door open and jumped out, groaning in pain at the ground shock. But, she didn't stop. Hotch rushed over and wrapped his arm around her waist to support her. She held onto him so tight he thought he might fall over. "Were they still in there?"

"I don't know," Hotch muttered, his eyes wide and panicked as he stared into the flames. Daisy gripped his shirt sleeve, her eyes watering from both the smoke and the concern that her friends didn't make it out alive.

"Reid! Morgan!" 

Daisy's head shot up when she heard Emily's voice. Looking over to the basement exit, she gasped when she saw the woman stumbling out with bruises and blood across her body. "Emily!"

Emily ran over, her eyes wide. She placed her hand on Daisy's shoulder, her breathing heavy. "Where's Reid and Morgan?"

The three agents looked towards the blaze, seeing two silhouettes moving towards them. Daisy squinted, trying to make them out. Her legs nearly gave way in relief when she saw Spencer and Derek coughing. She went to take a step, but Hotch held her back. She looked up at him, her lips slightly parted. "What are you doing?"

"You shouldn't be on your feet," he replied softly. She rolled her eyes, and he scoffed, keeping his supportive hold on her. "Just trust me on this one, okay?"

Daisy pursed her lips, knowing deep down that he was right. She hesitated before she leaned into him and allowed him to carry most of her weight. "Fine."

"Daisy," Spencer choked out, his voice just loud enough to carry over to his friend. He stumbled over and pulled her into a hug, careful not to cause her more pain. He buried his head in her shoulder and held her close, sniffling a little. "I'm so sorry. I should have done something-"