34. Fartaxerxes is doomed

"Step forward, whoever had turned their backs in the previous war." The warrior general stood with his chest puffed, hands crossed behind in a stern pose. His narrowed gaze skimmed over the rows of men, who stood whispering amongst themselves.

"I said, NOW!" he roared.

Ten to fifteen of them were pushed forward by fellow warriors as they stood as straight as possible, trying not to fiddle in nervousness.

Their general, Fartaxerxes, had become quite strict in the past few days.

"Turning your back in a war is the greatest cowardice a warrior can ever show. Are you aware of that?" He walked in front of the row of men as their heads hung low in shame.

"I've asked for something. Are You Aware?!"

"Y- Yes, my Lord," they stuttered.

"Good. At least you aren't a complete loon," he patted a random man's shoulder, making him squirm.

"Since we have vowed to be an ally of Alexander, we'll be helping him in the battle of Gaugamela," he paused to gauge their reaction, then continued,

"And fifteen of you will be sent without a back armour, just so you don't turn your backs at the enemy's face!" he announced, grinning at the sweaty face of the defaulters.

Oh well, that was Alexander's dialogue he had copied.

Everyone was pestering a man, who, after a while of being nagged, stepped forward. A defiant gaze set on his face, probably from the courage he got from his colleagues.

"My Lord, sincere apologies, but... Would you join this battle with us?"

Fartaxerxes' stomach churned at the question. He hadn't taken part in any battles till now.

Truth was, it won't be two minutes on the battlefield, and he would be slain to pieces. After all, the war wasn't a fencing competition he could win. It was a game with no rules.

While here he was, acting like a warrior boss.

I would join a battle only when I intend to go back to my century idiot, he thought with a snort.

"And who will guard the frontiers here?" He acted as if the question didn't affect him.

"Are you aware of the camps set up by the Persian satraps at our border?" The poor soldier had lost all confidence in this serious issue. Now he wanted to vanish from the general's sight.

"It would take them half a day to capture our fortress. Would you like it if they made your wives a war prize, while you fought away from your homeland?!" Fartaxerxes' voice rose another octave, making the man shrink.

"All right, no more foolish questions now. Back to practising the new tactics!" He declared, quietening possible criticism against him.

When everyone scattered around to train, he exhaled in relief.
Keeping up with a tough facade wasn't an easy job. Though the winters were arriving, the afternoons were still scorching hot, which had him sweating head to toe.

The warrior encampment area was located at the backside of the fortress, which had a forest. Some patches of it were cleared for the training ground, weapons and shield storage huts.