lxviii. end of the beginning

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑰𝑿𝑻𝒀 𝑬𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻
❝ 𝒆𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒈𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

LEGOLAS HAS LIVED FOR A LONG time

As an elf, he was blessed — and simultaneously cursed — with the never-ending ability to live a longer life than the average man, about a century more than the others. He had been in this world of Dwarves and Orcs and Dragons for a prolonged time, living through the rise and fall of empires, and the discoveries of the great and the evil. He had seen wars and been through abhorrent battles of bloodshed and death between the good and the bad. He had seen armies that could terrify the bravest people in Middle Earth and felt the heat of dragon fire on his back. He had befriended Kings and Wizards, powerful beings with the skill to do anything. He had discovered something that half of the world didn't...something everyone thought was purely myth. He had felt the exhilarating feeling of love...for friends and family.

He had experienced everything anyone would want to experience in their life; the unconditional love of family, the thrill of fighting against evil, the adrenaline of saving an entire Kingdom, and much more.

However, nothing could compare to what he felt at that moment.

And nothing ever could. Because when he heard those words leave Aragorn's mouth, he felt like his entire world had been cracked into two and the darkness is seeping right through the gap, replacing the light and happiness of the mermaid princess he was so fond of. At that moment, his prolonged life of accomplishments and success was nothing to him if it meant that Vera would not be there by his side. Yes, he had seen wars and the impossible before his eyes and felt everything he thought he would need but after a long life of thinking and dreaming, he realized one thing that others didn't notice about him; he had never felt the power of having someone love him and love them back in a way that is different than the rest.

And none of that mattered the moment he found Vera. The one person in his life that made him feel more alive than he ever felt in his entire life. And if settling down to a mere King with no freedom — a concept he hated with all his might and avoided as much as he could — meant that he would still be hers and she would be at his side, he would do it without a moment's hesitation. Because he would do anything to be would her.

Yes, everything he felt in his entire life faded into nothing in comparison to what he felt right now. Every emotion, every sensation, every memory paled to nothing when compared to what he was going through after the Battle of Helm's Deep.

With his head in his hands and his mind consumed with images, Legolas sat on the bench by the Healing Halls in complete silence, letting his mind override his senses for the time being as he ignored the stinging on his arms from the minor bruises on him. Someone had previously been ordered to tend him while he waited for news of her recovery but they have surrendered completely after he continued to ignore them and dismiss the pain in his right bicep. He could barely bring himself to care about himself, he certainly couldn't care less about others...at least, not in that moment. Ordinarily, he would be well-mannered and polite when someone is to talk to him — after all, it is elven customs — but he surely couldn't care about them now as his thoughts entirely clung onto Vera Adelaide, who is on the brink of death as we speak.