Chapter Fifteen

Declan

Transitioning fully into the culture of the twenty-first century wasn't easy, or even something Declan was fully on board with. A lot of men born in his original era viewed women as damsels to be protected. Growing up with witches cured him of any fantasies of heroism. In that regard, he fit in fairly well with the men of the present world.

Most of the time. Like any other time except for this exact moment. A moment where Lux had just admitted to using herself as bait to lure out a murderer. His heart remained on the rollercoaster of emotions that began when he thought she was dead.

They were in the food court when he saw Lux in her disguise, and Percy and Calum caught him under the arms when he went to his knees, his being riddled with shock and despair. In the time it took to rise, he imagined returning to the Institute and razing it to the ground because if he had been here, Lux would never have come to harm. Then, his singular focus turned to the woman bearing his love's scent. She would pay first.

Confusion followed when the girl said his name, and her expression morphed into a mirror image of his want. Finally, elation claimed him when she removed the last earring, revealing her identity.

Now, all those emotions coalesced together, spinning inside of him until he felt ill as Lux raised her chin defiantly. Maybe if he hadn't been separated from her for so long and if he hadn't experienced what the world would be like without her- even if it was brief - he might have reacted to her news accordingly. Instead, he wanted to douse her in mugwort and vervain for protection, hogtie her, and toss her in the back of the car. He might leave her tied up until she agreed to never attempt something so foolish again.

"Declan, breathe. You're as red as my hair."

Lux's chin lowered a hair. "Red over there is right. You don't look like you're feeling too hot."

Hanish shook his head, making his silver hair shimmer. "Stupid male. She will eat you alive."

"Lux, after everything we went through, why would you do something like this. With just Hanish, no less. Where is the Circle?"

She drew herself up to her full height and crossed her arms over her chest. In his experience, that body language meant nothing good, but he was too riled up to bow to the warnings in the back of his mind.

"Let's start with the fact that everyone is gone. They're in college, traveling, or disappearing mysteriously with no notice. Like a good little Priestess Most High, I stayed behind to focus on my magic instead of studying English and Theater like I planned because who gives a shit about Lux's plans?"

"Lux-"

Tears glimmered on her lashes. Percy and Calum looked everywhere but at the couple in front of them, and Hanish mimicked Lux's stance, leveling a stink eye at Declan.

"Second, I can't exactly be stealthy if I bring an entire Circle to the mall? You don't think that would be a little suspicious? And third-" she drew in a lungful of air, arching her brow at him when he opened his mouth to speak, "I am the Priestess Most High. Maybe some of my predecessors used that title to protect themselves, but to me that means I put my sisters above all else, even my safety. If there is a Bloodborn here, then they're in danger. Besides, it's not like you were around to ask for help."

With that parting shot, she spun on her heel and left the room. During her speech, most of Declan's temper faded until only the fear driving it remained. Fear tinged with guilt.

"Damn man. How did you go from getting one of the hottest kisses I've ever seen to being tongue-lashed, and not in a good way?"

"Percy," Calum groaned.

"Hanish," Declan said, rubbing the back of his neck, "I'm not saying I didn't deserve that, but that outburst felt very... un-Lux like. It kind of reminded me of before she had her channeling stone. When the magic ruled her emotions."

The Sylph shrugged. "Maybe you've just been gone so long you missed the point when Lux stopped being a girl who did what others told her to do."

Declan coughed to cover up a bark of laughter. Lux was a lot of things, but compliant wasn't one of them. She was fierce and loyal and honest. Above all else she was kind, and the part of her nature that drove her to be a planner also drove her to give consideration to her words. Over the years, he had watched her change from the volatile girl coming into her magic to a woman who approached everything with careful consideration. Hanish was wrong. She wouldn't have changed so much so quickly, would she?

"Honestly," Hanish said, interrupting Declan's thoughts, "Hurt makes people lash out, and you definitely hurt that girl. Still, it would not amiss to not take your words into consideration. You are her soulmate."

"I suppose we ought to get back on the road?" Calum asked.

The Fae's pocket chirped, and he fished out a phone. He smirked as he read the message. "I'm to be in the car in five minutes, or I'm responsible for my ride home."

"Damn," Percy muttered.

"No offense fellas, but I think I'd prefer her company," Hanish said, leaving almost as quickly as Lux had.

Walking out of the mall, Percy slung his arm over Declan's shoulder. "Not quite the welcome home you expected, huh?"

Declan shoved the man away and scowled. "You keep it up. Wait until she finds out who you are. The ass-chewing I received will pale compared to what she'll do to you. Loyalty is a specialty of Lux's, and she might love Travis more than she loves me."

Percy paled. A feat Declan didn't think possible, while Calum's lips curved into the first genuine smile Declan had ever seen on the man.

Getting into the truck, Calum started the engine but didn't put the car into drive. He tapped his thumb on top of the steering wheel while staring across the crowded parking lot.

"Boys, what are the chances that we all felt drawn back to this town at the same time another Bloodborn is becoming active?"

"You think they're connected?"

"I don't know. Maybe not," the Guardian mused. "But I think it's just another sign that we are where we're supposed to be. Something is going to happen in Sweetwater. Something big."

Declan hid a shudder. Calum's words sounded prophetic. But they all knew a war was on the horizon. He had hoped they had more time, but whether it would arrive tomorrow or ten years from now, it wouldn't matter as long as Lux was at his side.

He leaned back in his seat. He had some serious groveling ahead of him.