31. BY MY SIDE

31. BY MY SIDE

"WHY THE FUCK IS ALIYAH in the ER?" Are the first words that leave Elijah's mouth as he enters the elevator with Kendrick by his side

"WHY THE FUCK IS ALIYAH in the ER?" Are the first words that leave Elijah's mouth as he enters the elevator with Kendrick by his side. The man says nothing, making Elijah furrow his eyebrows with worry, "Kendrick, why is Aliyah in the ER?"

Kendrick turns his head away, trying to hide the tears that had gathered in his eyes.

Kendrick James does not cry ━ he's a surgeon who works on brains. He doesn't allow himself to cry. Especially for someone he barely knows, but this is the woman that his best friend is in love with.

He might not have been told explicitly, but he just knows. Elijah Malachi West is greatly in love with Aliyah. He can tell by the way his eyes light up when he talks about her ━ which is often.

So, he can only imagine the look that's going to be on his face when he sees the condition she is in.

However, Kendrick doesn't have the courage to tell him the problem, outright. That would only incite even more tears.

And Kendrick James does not cry.

The elevator door opens with a ding and the two waste no time in stepping out. The best friends move with haste towards one of the many rooms in the ER.

Before Elijah can push the door open, Kendrick stops him, a frown on his face and his words coming out as a whisper, "Eli, she might not want to be touched right now. One of the female nurses stitched up her cheek but that's all she allowed us to do ━ "

At his words, Elijah connects the dots. Ignoring the rest of Kendrick's sentence, he enters the room and closes the door behind him, locking Kendrick out.

His eyes immediately hone in on the woman sitting on the bed, facing away from the door.

"Lee," He whispers, approaching her cautiously, "Hey, Lee, look at me."

When he finally is in a position to see her face, his jaw gapes open. His eyes scan her face, taking in the stitched up gash on her swollen cheek, her swollen eye that was black and blue, the smaller scratches on her other cheek and temple. Streaks of dried tears are visible on those cheeks. He trails down to the cut on her neck ━ a trail of dried blood stopping at her collarbone.

Elijah feels the rage inside of him bubbling over. His hands twitched as he wanted to reach for her, but Kendrick's voice in his head was telling him differently.

He bites his bottom lip in anger, "I'm gonna kill that asshole."

"I asked them to leave me alone ━ the nurses and doctors," Her voice cracks when she allows words to slip from her mouth, "I couldn't take them just... staring at me like I'm a likkle poor thing."