034 | mystery gang

▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬

ALBANY WAS STRUGGLING NOT TO work herself into a panic as she began to rack her brain for the slightest idea of Carly's whereabouts. Merlin was speaking to her, but she had tuned him out against her better judgement, concern for her friend consuming her mind. Would Carly, too, be dropped down in the dungeons? Had Moody dragged her out to the forest so nobody would hear her scream?

"Albany, are you even listening?" Merlin asked, waving a ghostly hand in front of her face.

Albany blinked, eyes focusing on the wizard in front of her. "...Yes?"

Merlin sighed. "No, you weren't."

She bit her cheek. "No, I wasn't."

The raven-haired young man pinched the bridge of his nose, though was smiling nonetheless when he met her gaze again. "I was saying, why don't you use the guiding light spell? It worked last time, didn't it?"

Albany paused, wondering how she had forgotten it. "Last time I still don't know if it wanted me to put my books away in my dorm, or actually showed the way to George."

Merlin raised an eyebrow. "Don't you think it's worth a try?"

Albany shrugged, pulling out her wand and swallowing her panic. "I guess it's better than nothing. As long as it doesn't take me to the bathroom or anything."

Merlin glanced sideways at her. "Do you need to go?"

"Only a little bit."

He had to hide his amusement. "Well, it's your only lead. I'd take it."

"I'll admit I agree," Albany said with a nod, and took a deep breath. "Lumine guidante."

Once again, she was greeted by the small ball of light, and didn't waste a second in following it this time. Merlin stayed with her as she climbed the stairs after it, itching to go faster. Unfortunately, that was the only problem with the little orb; it moved at the speed of a dead slug.

Well, not quite that slow, but considering how anxious Albany was to find her friend, it felt that way.

"Do you know where it's taking us?" Merlin asked, casually floating behind her. She envied his lack of need to walk.

Albany shook her head. "Not yet," she mumbled, though as the light turned a corner down a corridor of classrooms, she suddenly realised. "Wait, I think I do...."

The light fazed through the door to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. As quietly as she could manage, Albany opened the door, wincing as it creaked; and witnessed the light rise up the stairs to the office in the back of the room before fizzling out.

"There," she whispered, and swallowed hard. "Moody's office."

"You really think she's in danger?" Merlin asked.