Prologue

I giggled loudly while I stared at the slightly orange liquid. I had never had tequila before but somehow it tasted better the more I drank it. This was my 4th shot. Or was it my 6th?

 I really didn’t know.

But math had never been my strongest subject in high school anyway. I giggled again when I thought of my math teacher, Mrs. Allen.

She had always been so nice to everyone; even to Miles and she let him pass the last exam even though I knew for a fact that he hadn’t even answered half the questions on the test.

But now that I came to think of it… she might have only done so he wouldn’t have to repeat the year so that she wouldn’t have to endure his endless laughing and talking again.

I took a sip and the liquid burned in my throat, but I barely noticed it anymore and that room was starting to spin didn’t bother me either.

It was fun, not as fun as roller coasters though. I remembered that a couple of weeks ago Connor had taken me to Six Flags and my smile faded. Connor.

My boyfriend. I let out a dry laugh and I didn’t even notice the weird looks some of the passing guests shot me.

I had almost forgotten the whole reason why I was sitting here, on a bar stool, getting drunk for the first time in my life. I had always been the responsible and careful one, which had always left me being the designated driver, and it hadn’t ever bothered me. 

A few times I had had a beer and on New Year’s Eve or 4th of July my parents would have always let me have a glass of champagne but I had never -that is, not until today- had the urge to get so wasted that I forgot I even existed.

My parents had always been pretty laid-back when it came to alcohol which was probably due to the fact that they partied pretty hard during their college years. I, on the other hand, preferred staying home, reading, and drinking hot chocolate, something that especially Connor never understood.

He liked going out and whenever there was a party, it was certain that he and his macho friends would be there, so they wouldn’t miss the fun. In fact, having fun, was probably exactly what he was doing right now. He might have been having the time of his life at that exact moment in a storage room upstairs. And that with a girl that evidently wasn’t me.

I had to admit though, she was pretty.

Prettier than I was. I turned around and looked at the huge mirror that was hanging on a wall next to the little bar and frowned. I looked miserable.

My hair that had been neatly styled and curled just a couple of hours ago, was now messy and my cheeks were flushed from the crying and the alcohol. My makeup was all waterproof, but the lipstick was long gone, and my eyes were red and swollen.

My phone was dead because I had forgotten to charge it earlier. I tried to smile at my mirror image, but I didn’t even manage a grimace even though just a minute ago I had been unable to stop giggling.