A Bullet to the Head

It was a beautiful day. The sun was made all of Ivoryport shine with an almost ethereal glow. Viola had never seen this city this way: It was as if she was seeing it with brand new eyes. Perhaps it was the wave of positivity that seemed to be carrying everyone else around her. Even the Marquise seemed happier these days. Or perhaps it was the change that Viola herself had felt over the last several days. A warmth which resulted from the company she now kept, and which filled her in ways she never thought possible.

Whatever the reason was, Viola now walked lighter. Her left hand, which for so many years had been glued to the gun she always carried, was now free. No longer tense, it could now do all the things it couldn't before. Granted, they weren't that many things, but she liked the fact that she now had options. Possibilities. It was an exciting new world indeed.

"Everything okay, my dear?" A kind voice brought her out of her musings.

She turned to find Livilla's round face, beaming as per usual. Viola truly cared for the woman, which was a good thing since she was now bound to stand next to her. No longer in service of the Marquise, she had pledged her gun to the Lady. God knew Livilla needed all the protection she could get, especially considering the beast she was married to.

"Everything really is, My Lady," she replied, accepting the sweet treat Livilla was offering.

"I do hate you have to address me in such a formal way again," the Lady said as she drank from her cup of tea. "We had just started to be more familiar with one another."

Viola smiled at the Lady's naiveté. "Words are mere formalities, My Lady. I trust our relationship is past the point where such details could be perceived as threatening."

"Of course you're right, darling Shooter." Livilla held Viola's hand and squeezed it tightly. "Oh my dear, I don't know what I would do without you, without any of you. Your support has meant the world to me during this entire ordeal. Trying times lay ahead of me and... well, let's just say it's nice to tread down this road with friends by my side."

Viola appreciated these stolen moments. During these past few days, she had gotten to witness a new side to Livilla, one she never expected to see. Overnight, the Lady had been thrown into the role of Queen, one she had never expected to fulfil. Indeed, almost all of the nobility had been reluctant to accept her. No one imagined the sweet, unassuming, gossipy Lady Livilla would be a good candidate to preside over this broken kingdom.

But Livilla had proven them all wrong. In spite of everything, in spite of even herself, the Lady had grown steel wings to fly in this war zone and she had soared far higher than anyone could've foreseen. Rumour around Leverfort was that this seemingly accidental Queen was turning out to be an unexpected leader.

Still, Viola could see the heavy toll the Crown was taking in Livilla. The Lady smiled a lot less often; her steps were now hesitant, as if she feared even her shadow. Her words were more calculated and her once common displays of affection were now a rare sight. Just like the Marquise and Viola and everyone else in this capital, Livilla was now wearing a mask. She was now dancing to the tune of the Crown.

She was therefore glad that Livilla could at least be herself, or rather the person she used to be, when they were together. Viola had practically become Livilla's shadow, much to the chagrin of Buford, who had made his dislike of her all too clear. Still, she didn't care. She had a duty, one that went beyond honour even. Livilla would be their most powerful ally in the fight against the parasite. Her safety was now a priority.

"My dear Shooter," Livilla continued, unaware of the carnival of thoughts that paraded in Viola's head, "I have a Council meeting this afternoon. I'm expecting it to carry on into the heart of night. You could take the afternoon off, should you so desire."