32. SILENCE

32. SILENCE

A WEEK HAD PASSED SINCE the incident and Aliyah barely slept since then

A WEEK HAD PASSED SINCE the incident and Aliyah barely slept since then. She'd temporarily moved in with Elijah and taken a lot of sick days from work but she'd left the work up to Loren who she had full faith in.

Her attacker wasn't caught yet ━ she saw his face everytime she closed her eyes to sleep. She feared that one day, he'd somehow figure out where she is and find her and finish the job.

His brown eyes and gruff voice. They haunted her for the past week.

She no longer had the cuts and scrapes littered all over her face to remind her of that night ━ only her brain.

She'd gotten better at receiving human contact ━ that's the only way she got three full hours of sleep one night. Elijah wrapped her in his arms, allowing her to sleep on his chest.

Aliyah has been stuck in the house for the seven days she'd been living with Elijah ━ she couldn't find the strength to go anywhere, with the fear that the same thing might happen again and this time, no one will be nearby to hear her scream.

One of her favorite pastimes, recently, is to stare at the navy blue wall in Elijah's bedroom. If she concentrates hard enough, she can put all of her thoughts to the back of her mind and just zone out.

She holds her knees to her chest, trying her hardest to focus on her breathing. Her eyes flutter closed but snap open only seconds later.

The bedroom door opens, Elijah entering with dark bags under his eyes. His eyes finds hers, taking in her position.

"Are you thinking about it again?" He asks, already knowing what she's doing. He drops his work bag by the door and approaches her. Avoiding the bed considering he just did a thirty-seven hour shift, he stoops down in front of her.

Aliyah shrugs, biting the inside of her cheek nervously, "It's kind of hard not to." His beautiful blue eyes snap her from her reverie, making her shake her head of all the bad thoughts, "Uh, how was work today?"

Elijah shrugs, "Nope, we're not talking about work. You know what we're gonna do ━ after I take three showers to wash off other people's bodily fluids? We're gonna bake cookies."

Aliyah tries to hide the smile that unfolds on her face but she can't help herself, "Eli ━"

"Nope," He stops her, "You need to do something that isn't staring my bedroom wall."

She tilts her head at his words, the smile still on her face, "You're annoying."

"You love it." He stands and makes his way to the bathroom, leaving Aliyah to stare after him with a look of admiration in her eyes.