- thirty-nine : depth

[ third person ]

⋆⋆⋆

"Your dad is actually really nice." Tsukishima pointed out as he walked beside Makoto, holding one handle of the groceries. "He looks intimidating."

"He was really cold to everyone eight months ago. I never saw him during the day. When he was home, he'd be in the room sleeping then he'd leave the next morning. I was kind of surprised that he had changed so much in eight months."

"Character development." Tsukishima muttered, failing to notice see the kid that ran over to them until he spoke up.

"Mama!" The boy shouyed as she threw his arms around Makoto's torso, hugging her tightly. This made Tsukishima quickly sigh and drag a hand down her afce.

"I knew you were too good to be true. I knew there was a catch, but to think that you're a mother..."

"I'm not a mother!" Makoto exclaimed, narrowing her eyes at Tsukishima who was busy snickering to himself. "This is Akito, Akihiro's younger brother."

"Ah, Akihiro's the one from your team, yeah? Number 12?" Tsukishima pointed out as he stood beside Makoto, glancing down at Akito. "He calls you..Mama?"

"Short for Makoto." The female said as she picked him up, resting him on her hip with an arm wrapped around his body. The small boy was only age five, running out of his room upon seeing Makoto in the street. "I used to watch him a lot when Akihiro would go off and do his delinquent things."

"He's a del-" Tsukishima paused, recalling Akihiro's appearance and behavior for a moment. "Nah, I believe you."

"Can we go play at the park like we used to do?" Akito asked with a bright smile as he threw his arms around Makoto's neck. The female bit her lip, trying to figure how to say no.

"Ah, Akito, we were actually on our way-"

"To the park." Tsukishima interrupted, nodding curtly to cut Makoto off.

"We were?"

"Yay!!!" Akito kicked happily, cheering as Makoto awkwardly led the way to the park.

When they arrived at the park, Makoto was dragged away by Akito who wanted to play on everything. Tsukishima simply watched from a nearby bench, smirking every time he saw her silent calls for assistance.

"Hey, that was cheating!" Makoto shouted as she lost a race against Akito who took a shortcut. "Get over here, you little weasel!"

Akito loud laughter filled the quiet park, making Makoto also laugh along with him as she chased after the small boy.

Tsukishima watched with fond eyes as Makoto caught Akito, playfully attacking him until he was laughing harder than ever. In that moment, he knew he had picked the right one.

Akito sighed softly, giggling occasionally. "I want icecream."

"I'll go get us some. You can hang with Kei." Makoto said as she pointed at Tsukishima who was walking over to them.

Akito shied away for a moment, hesitant to be with Tsukishima who he had just met.

The blond bent down, awkwardly trying to find the words that would make this kid comfortable. "Uh, do you wanna play in the sandbox?"

Akito's eyes brightened as he came out from behind Makoto. He nodded happily, grabbing Tsukishima's hand and dragging him over to the sandbox.

"Nice, Kei!" Makoto whisper-shouted as she walked off to buy them some icecream. Down the street was a small conscience store that sold ice cream and other cold treats.

When she returned, she found Tsukishima sitting on the edge of the sandbox with a shovel in his hand as he built a small sand mound. Akito was sat inside the sandbox, filling Tsukishima's shoe up with sand and pretending it was a boat.

"Pfft!" Makoto spluttered our a laugh, unable to believe that Tsukishima would give up his shoe like that. "You're too funny, Kei."

"Ha-ha." He rolled his eyes, standing up from his spot and dusting off his pants. Akito dumped out the sand and handed his shoe back to Tsukishima. "Thanks."

Akito dusted his hands on his pants and ran over to Makoto, grabbing his ice cream that was extended out to him.

"Let's go sit over here."

The three of them were sat on a bench, eating their ice cream while talking quietly. Akito sat in between the two older kids, eating his ice cream messily.

"It's melting. Careful." Tsukishima pointed out as he wiped Akito's mouth with a napkin. "You gotta eat faster."

As the two raced to see who could finish their ice cream faster, Makoto was busy taking a video of them. They were too cute.

"Damn, I lost." Tsukishima muttered as he feigned defeat. Akito cheered happily, doing a small happy dance to celebrate his win. "Don't get cocky, alright? I'll beat you next time."

"Ha, yeah right!" Akito giggles happily as he stood up, running off to play on the swings for a little while.

"Want some?" Makoto asked as she extended her ice cream out to Tsukishima. "It's cookies and cream."

Tsukishima grabbed her hand, licking the ice cream. He hummed, licking his lips. "It's good."

Shit, that was hot- Makoto smiled stiffly as she turned away to finish her ice cream and hide her flushed cheeks.

"You know, you changed my mind about a lot of things." Tsukishima started, making Makoto turn her head to face him. "I said I'd never date you yet here I am."

"That's kind of rude-"

"Shut up. I was in denial." The blond huffed, chuckling softly. "I also thought that girlfriends were a waste of time."

"Another jab at me? You tryna fight???"

He rolled his eyes. "I also thought I'd never want to have kids because they were annoying and pointless. But,"

Tsukishima wrapped an arm around Makoto's shoulder, sliding closer to her with a small sigh. "Now, I don't mind it one bit."

"Kei, that's absolutely crazy because," Makoto grinned lightly, "I was thinking the exact same thing. You handle Akito so good and that says a lot because Akito is really really anxious when he meets new people. I was thinking that you'd be a good day and-"

"You're nervous rambling again. Calm down. I'm not tryna impregnate you tonight." Tsukishima reassured, feeling almost tempted when he saw the look of subtle disappointment on her face.

"You're not?"

"Why do you sound disappointed? Do you want to be a teen mother and get us both disowned!?"

"N-No! I was just- What?! I don't know anymore!"

"Good grief."