Don't Call Me That

Sliding my finger across the stack of books, I land on Biology 101. I pick it up and slide it into my backpack. I can feel my phone vibrating in my back pocket as I close my locker.

"You bitch!"

Sarah runs up to me pointing to her phone in her hand.

I pull my phone out of my pocket, "it's been in my pocket since I got here."

"Better have been," she bumped my hip with hers, "I tried calling like fifteen thousand times."

I look down to see two missed calls. She can be so freaking dramatic sometimes, "well, what did you need."

She grabs both of my shoulders and pulls me to the side of the hallway, "What do I need? Let me see.." she playfully taps her chin pretending to be in thought, "Oh I remember! Freaking Jett Michaels broke up with Charlotte! HE IS SINGLE!"

She said the last three words shaking my shoulders violently, drawing attention from everyone else around us. I pull her hands off my shoulders, "Calm yourself, you are drawing attention," she looks around and waits for me to continue, "I feel bad for Charlotte. No one deserves to be dumped." I shrugged my shoulder content with my answer.

Sarah's jaw dropped, "I don't even understand how we are friends."

She turned on her heels and started off down the hallway. I started jogging to catch up.

Biology class was a blur, possibly because I was asleep the whole time. Perks of sitting in the back I guess. But next was Calculus, and I was not so blessed by the Gods of assigned seating with that one. Although, I was one of only four girls in that class so there must have been some type of higher power behind that one.

"Hey Emilie."

I turn to meet eyes with the one and only, Jett Michaels.

"Jett."

He smirked, "That's my name."

My facial expression didn't change. His dropped.

"Well, if that's all we needed to establish-"

He stepped in front of my path, "I'm sure you have heard that I broke up with Charlotte."

"Yeah," I attempted to push him to the side but he was much stronger than I expected, "And I don't care, so move."

He could tell that I wasn't strong enough to push him out of the way, and he liked that. He grinned with each passing second, "Oh Emilie, don't you want to know why I dumped her?"

"No."

He moved closer, til his nose was just inches from mine, "Fine then, you can play your game. I can play one too."

He held eye contact with me for atleast 45 seconds before backing away. I sped around him to my Calculus class.

Charlotte Jameson. The schools pretty girl. Her natural red hair was shiny enough to set off a metal detector, and her skin was flawless twenty-four seven. But today, she looked broken. She was the second out of only four girls in my class.

"Yo, Em. Have a seat." Grant West was waving me over to my assigned seat, Grant was the kind of guy that everyone got along with. He is good at sports, has a nice car, big house, and even a tattoo. He was popular by the schools standards, but he was a genuinely nice person. His parents raised him well.

"Guess who blocked me in the hall."

Grant wasn't the only one interested in my conversation, I know had the attention of the other three boys sitting around me.

"Well, are you going to tell us?" Heath Dawson was now impatiently waiting for my answer.

Heath Dawson was friends with Jett and Beau but he didn't hang out with them outside of school. He fit into their lunch table well because of his good looks. He had swooshy sandy blonde hair, an ear piercing and a knuckle tattoo. He thinks that is cool.

"Jett."

Grant looked at me confused, "Why was that jackass talking to you?"

I wasn't sure wether to take that as a protective compliment or a concern of me being a nobody.

"He wanted to point out the fact that he dumped Charlotte. I told him I didn't care."

"Cold." Heath now lost all interest and turned back around in his seat.

Grant met eyes with Charlotte who was now crying, and turned back around in his seat as well.

Charlotte looked at me, and I wanted to punch Jett in the face for her. I made a mental note to talk to her after class, but the bell rang and she darted out into the hallway.

Grabbing my books I heard someone say my name at the door, "Emilie!"

Sarah had a brown lunch sack in her hand and a grin on her face.

"No." I pushed past her without hesitation.

"Oh come on, Em. Live a little!"

I dropped, turned to her face to face, "No."

"Em-"

"No!" As we argued we walked to my locker, and I swapped my books for my next class. We had went back and forth for a few minutes.

"Sarah, if she wants to be a loser...let her be."

We both turn to see who interrupted our rebuttal. None other than Liam White himself.

"Go away." Sarah and I spoke in unison.

"Atleast y'all can agree on something," he reached across my locker and propped the door open, "Do you two want to go to a party tonight?"

"No." I answered before Sarah could.

"Wait, where is the party?" Sarah put her hand over my mouth like a toddler, waiting for Liam to answer.

"It's at Michaela Brown's house. Y'all can come, but we enter separately and leave separately. Consider it the rest of my payment."

Sarah looked at me withholding the majority of her excitement to save face in front of Liam, "I think we should go. Maybe Jett will be there."

"If he is there, I don't want to be."

"Your ex or something?"

Sarah and I both glare at Liam wondering why he is still near us in public.

"She wishes," Sarah looks back at me with puppy dog eyes, "You can borrow anything from my closet..."

My parents aren't exactly rich and most of their money goes to my tuition not my wardrobe, "Fine. When and where?"

He smirked, "Y'all can ride with me and Handy. We leave at 9. Hope that's not too far past your bedtime, Amelia."

"That's not my name."

"It is now, Amelia." Liam sauntered off down the hallway.

"Don't call me that!" I yelled after him, but he threw his hands up and kept walking.

Tonight will be interesting, I just need an excuse to stay at Sarah's house. My parents hate parties.