Chapter 46: Long Yi Ran's Gamble

But there was a catch...

That day, Duke Li finally accepted the Emperor's invitation and entered the royal palace. To his annoyance, the fifth prince also tagged along with him.

When he asked Nuan Lin Che if he had other plans such as exploring Hanjing, the prince answered that he would like to see how gorgeous the Empress was. Even though Huang Li Yun didn't care for the Empress of Great Han, he silently lit a candle for her because a pervert would soon grace her presence.

To his surprise, the prince didn't show his spoiled brat devil-may-care attitude once they entered the palace. His eyes still darted to and fro the pretty maids and eunuchs but his hands were firmly kept behind his back.

The Emperor of Great Han welcomed them in one of the beautiful pavilions in the royal gardens. The two started small talk about the ongoing congregation. It wasn't, after all, a one-time event. Discussions were being made for a few hours every day and deals between nations were agreed upon every now and then.

Long Yi Ran didn't ask why the prince of Huo Ai seemed uninterested in politics and let him enjoy his wine and snacks, smiling at the Emperor from time to time. Both of the charismatic men didn't know that he was just waiting for a show to unfold.

"There is something We have been curious about all this while."

When Nuan Lin Che heard the Emperor open another topic, his gaze dropped to his cup as he was anticipating what would come next.

Huang Li Yun didn't interrupt the young Emperor, not noticing how the atmosphere had changed.

"The boundary between Our land and yours seemed to be undergoing change. We hope the Duke can give Us some insights about this."

Long Yi Ran still gave off that calm aura and opposite him, the Duke paused his hand mid-air but resumed taking the teacup right after.

"Whatever His Majesty means by this? It's still the same freezing weather as I traveled."

Yi Ran was unfazed with his opponent acting ignorantly. "With the Duke's astuteness, We believe the Duke also noticed it. There are no other people here, it's alright to say a few things."

Huang Li Yun kept his amiable smile. There was no way he would spill some information to this low Emperor. There were a few ways to resolve this matter. "Noticed what, Your Majesty? With your Majesty speaking in circles, how can this Duke understand?"

The Emperor was somewhat enlightened. Even if the duke spoke in a slightly less blunt way, its meaning was the same as what Lady Huang told him yesterday.

"....We must speak like real adults here and save the poisonous words for your ministers..."

Indeed, they were related, he thought darkly for a moment.

"It's better to have the Duke and the Prince see." He gestured behind him. "Bring it out!"

From the back of the palace closest to the pavilion, a large covered cage was pushed towards the pavilion. Long Yi Ran didn't keep them in suspense as the cover was taken off as soon as the cage halted in front of them.

But even though the cage was still a few meters away from Duke Li, he knew what that was.

With a flap, an imperial guard took off the cover of the cage. The animal was revealed to the prince and duke of Huo Ai.

It was a grey wolf but almost two times larger and fiercer. Its eyes were red-rimmed. Its growls grew more threatening as it felt the presence of a person brimming with spiritual energy.