T H I R T Y T W O

THIRTY-TWO 

"Good morning, Lia. Sir informed me to submit these reports for you to oversee." Callum said, dropping the blue file on my table and thrusting his hands into his jeans pocket. Looking at him I felt refreshed and somewhat content. It had been a long time talking to someone who knows a lot about you.

"Sir?" I raised my eyebrows. 

"Christian Sir." 

"Oh okay. Thanks." I remembered reading Christian's text telling me to supervise these reports before emailing it to Pierce Corporation. His secretary to be exact.

I looked up to see him fiddling nervously with his finger and the button of his plaid shirt. Furrowing my eyebrows, I stared at him. He avoided it. "Would you like to come to lunch with me?" He blurted out and then his facial expression wore regret.

I hesitated before saying, "Today I have got a lot of work, ya know checking this file, " I eyed towards the file he brought, "and also I have to look into the accountancy sector. Some other time?" I spoke with a hidden apology and fake hope. 

He smiled awkwardly and nodded. "Sure, I will be looking forward to it." With that, he walked out of the room and I released the breath I have been unknowingly holding. 

That was certainly weird...

Pushing away the thoughts after a moment, I pulled the file and opened the first page. 

.

.

The ringing of the phone pulled me out of my concentrated trance. Sighing, I looked at the cell and it was Theodore calling me. I wasn't that surprised. The conference is going to start in half an hour and I had to take notes like a PA. I scoffed, no wonder why most people don't seem to pursue higher degrees because they aren't given position or respect according to their standards.

"Hello,"

"Theodore speaking," he informed me from the other side. 

"Yes, sir?"

"In today's meeting, you shall enter the gates as an employee of the financial department, fully aware of what's going on with our top investors and not as my PA. Remember you work as both and I want to see that versatile worker in you. Not the one sweating over the mere PA works." 

There was a moment of silence after that. I didn't know if I should be jumping to express my happiness or call Christian to get the basics. Not that there was much I could mug up considering that I was new and unaware of almost everything. But still, I was excited, every cell in my body was dancing in glee.

"Okay," I whispered and the line went dead. My eyes went to my right and I found Theodore looking at me with an indecipherable emotion. He nodded before turning around to continue typing on the laptop. 

Quickly, I dialed Christian's number with a wide smile stretched on my lips. When he picked up from the other side I said, "Tell me a bit about what's going on in the financial sector." I breathed out putting aside the formalities.

Being a PA, I mostly managed and scrutinized Theodore's daily routine and miscellaneous works. But when it came to the financial sector, I only gave some rational advice which could get us more profit or look into the matters which had anomaly and required sane brain cells to stress. Till now, I haven't indulged wholeheartedly into my real genre-the core of finance and accountancy. 

Christian made me understand the important and basic points like a responsible elder brother while I quickly jotted them down in a notepad, in case I needed to revise it. He emailed me this week's final report and disconnected the call wishing me luck and advising me not to get so excited that I end up falling from the stairs blinded by my over-enthusiasm. I sarcastically replied an extremely heartfelt 'thank you' and slid the phone over the table.