eighteen | metamorphosis

"You did the right thing." Iroh smiled as they walked back into the apartment. "Letting the Avatar's bison go free."

Zuko stumbled in wearily. "I don't feel right." He slurred before passing out. 

"Zuko!" Mari exclaimed, rushing to the floor, Iroh did the same and they both exchanged worried looks.

"Get him to the mat." Iroh ordered. Mari nodded helping Iroh carry the unconscious prince to a mat in the living room. Placing a pillow under his head, Iroh grabbed a heavy blanket, before removing his shirt. "He has a fever." Iroh stated after feeling his head.

After an hour, Zuko finally awoke, looking pale and weak.

"You're burning up." Iroh spoke softly, placing a wet cloth over his forehead. "You have an intense fever. This will help cool you down."

"So thirsty." He groaned, trying to get up. Iroh only forced him back down.

"Here's some clean water to drink. Stay under the blankets and sweat this out." Iroh said, assisting Zuko to drink using a wooden ladle. Zuko pushed it away and grabbed the bucket of water, downing it quickly. Zuko turned to his side, coughing lightly.

---

It was now dark out, Zuko had been resting for the whole day. Iroh had gone out a while ago, in search of herbs to make a healing tea. Mari stayed by Zuko's side, brushing his hair out of his face lightly. His eyes fluttered open and she slowly pulled her hand away.

He weakly raised his own, taking her hand and placing it back on his head to continue, which made her laugh lightly.

"Where's Uncle?" Zuko asked quietly.

"He went out to find some herbs to help you. He should be back soon. Do you want more water?" She questioned. Zuko shook his head slowly. "Are you feeling any better?"

He shook his head.

Mari nodded and brought her hand that was stroking his dark hair down to his forehead, checking his temperature. "Well on the bright side, your fever is going down. You don't feel as hot." 

"What's wrong with me?" He said with a cough.

"I'm not sure. It came on so suddenly."

"You should know this is not a natural sickness." Iroh said walking back in with a bag of herbs. He began to brew the tea before continuing. "But that shouldn't stop you from enjoying tea." He said pouring the tea into a cup.

"Well, what's happening?" Zuko asked weakly, as he sipped the tea with help from Mari.

"Your critical decision, what you did beneath that lake, it was in such conflict with your image of yourself that you are now at war with your mind and body."

"What's that mean?"

"You are going through a metamorphosis, my nephew. It will not be a pleasant experience. But when you come out of it, you will be the beautiful prince you were always meant to be." Iroh smiled, wiping Zuko's head with a cloth towel. "Mari, it's late, would you like to go to rest, I can watch Zuko if you need sleep?" Iroh questioned the girl.