Chapter 4

The next day, I met Vignesh at his office with a copy of our secret contract tucked into my file. The news of our impending nuptials was spreading like rapid fire and I received a lot of blatant stares and appreciative glances as I made my way up to his office. The staff were extra polite and I wanted to cringe. I get they were trying to be accommodating to their Boss's wife but the idea still hasn't sunk in completely yet.

It turns out the woman I saw flirting with him yesterday was his PA and she wasn't at her post. I knocked on his door and waited. Vignesh yelled at me to come in and I stepped in. His office was a bit larger than mine and had a few more potted plants. I found him sitting regally on his chair with his PA sitting across from him. She didn't bother to look up.

"Aanandhi, it's always a pleasure to see you," he greeted with a smirk.

"I'm sure it is," I said drily and settled down in one of the additional chairs. I shot a look at Vignesh who seemed content to watch me in an amused way. I glanced at his PA who was busy looking at her lap. I think I heard her sniffle.

I glanced at her and raised my brow at him questioningly as he was still studying me. He snapped out of it quickly.

"Right. This is Meghna. My beautiful girlfriend, who also happens to be my assistant," he introduced grandly.

I figured it should be the other way around. His assistant who became his girlfriend.

How convenient!

I watched the girl subtly dab at her eyes with a tissue and glance up at me with red rimmed eyes. She was beautiful with pink, pouty lips and artfully styled hair. Something about her appearance reminded me of a poodle.

"Hello, my name is Aanandhi," I said and held out a hand. She glared, her eyes spitting fire at me.

"So you're the gold digger who's trying to steal my future husband!" she spit out angrily and I put down my hand.

Angry poodle.

"Meghna, I told you it isn't like that. Our parents want to merge our companies together. You have nothing to worry about. Aanandhi and I don't even like each other. This is a business agreement. Pure and simple," Vignesh explained in a pacifying tone. It sounded like he was talking to a baby but whatever. Meghna seemed to drink in his words like they were the holy commandments.

"She's using you, Vignesh! How can you marry someone who doesn't love you? She'll never love you like I do! You should be marrying me, not her!" she cried.

"I believe Vignesh has mentioned this is a business agreement. We will both lead our own separate lives as long as we remain married. I can assure you that if Vignesh ever lands a finger on me, the contract is over," I explained calmly.

"Don't flatter yourself, Aanandhi. If anything, you should learn to keep your hands to yourself," Vignesh shot back annoyed.

"If I haven't felt an ounce of attraction towards you in the two decades we've known each other, I doubt it's going to start now, Vicky," I growled.

"Stop it! Vignesh, I'll be there to protect you from her lecherous advances," Meghna cut in and rolled my eye at the implication.

"And you," she said, pointing at me.
"I don't like you. You are stealing my boyfriend. He's supposed to be my husband. I'm going to try talking to Vedanta sir again. He must understand that love is very important in a marriage," she stated primly and I resisted the urge to 'aww'.

"Meghna, wait. I don't think this is a good idea. I told you, I talked to him. He wasn't pleased. I don't want you to get hurt," Vignesh pleaded with her to not go.