˗ˋ 29

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE BEGINS

. . .

James had spent majority of the day in the hosipital wing, much to his dismay. It really wasn't on his list of top ten things to do on a Saturday, and after a whole day staring at the drab walls, he wasn't in the greatest mood.

Of course, straight after leaving he sought out his friends, looking to do something prank wise to cheer him up. However, upon finding them, James realised that they were in the middle of some homework he needed to do.

Then he remembered Tiger's promise to him, that she would help him with that homework. And quickly excusing himself, he began to look for the purple-haired girl.

She wasn't in her dorm (Lydia had just come down as he stepped into the common room), or the common room, or his room or the library or any of the windowsills which he knew she liked to knit on sometime.

He made his way to the final place he would before he gave up, and then found that she was most definitely in there. Pushing open the door into the abandoned classroom, James saw that there was a few tables staced against each other in the back corner, which had some sheets draped over them.

"Hello." Tiger said as James moved around the side of the structure, looking down at the girl. "I heard you come in. Grab a cushion or something."

Tiger didn't glance up once as she spoke to James, and continued to stare down at the material she was holding, moving a needle through it.

"How are you?" She asked, after James had watched her for a few moments. Tiger had finally put down the shiny light-purplefabric. "You feeling any better?"

"Much better. It's gone I think, thanks for taking me to Pomfrey." James said, and the slow smile began to bloom on Tiger's lips.

"I knew you would be dramatic if you had a cold." Tiger giggled, as James feigned annoyance, his jaw dropped and faking any shock. "James, it was so bad. You almost wouldn't go to Madame Pomfrey."

"I didn't feel like moving. Besides, if one of you had just run down to her and asked for that potion.." James trailed off as he saw Tiger's expression. "Fine, maybe it was the best that you and Sirius dragged me down."

"You better think that, you weren't the one who had him screaming up the girls dorm stairs before sending a second year up to tell me that he wanted me." Tiger laughed, standing up with her material and walking over to a mannequin, carefully lifting the material over the top half.

"What part is this?" James asked, leaning against the wall as he watched Tiger continue sewing, pulling the material slightly tighter around the chest area of the dress.

"I am making the underdress." Tiger explained, leaving the dress for just a minute and walking over to one of the desks, picking up a notebook laid out there, the needle pressed between her teeth.

Passing it to James, Tiger held the needle, crouching down next to him and using it to point out the parts she was talking about. "The mesh is going to be the more flowing part, but because it is mesh - as in it's basically see through - I need to have something under it."

"Hm.. I see." James nodded, trying to not as too many questions so that he didn't distract her too much, and got her off course. "How do you know it's the right size?" The question was the only one he really wanted to know, because he really was confused.

"This, my dear Prongsie." Tiger stopped sewing for a moment and placed her arms around the mannequin's shoulders. "Is a direct copy of my torso. I can magic it to look like anyones."

"So it changes according to who you're making it for?" James asked, and Tiger nodded, crouched down, sewing the bottom of the two pieces together.

Pushing the needle into a pin cushion, Tiger walked over to one of the cupboards, opening it to reveal the lengths of various coloured mesh.

She pulled out the silver pile and began to drape it in various ways over the mannequin and purple-silk under dress. "These bits should work for the arms." She started, letting two bits fall. "Shoulders, chest, waist."

Tiger pulled the fabric tight around where he waist would be and held it at the back. "Look ok?" She asked, glancing at James.

"I think so, even though I don't really have knowledge on this sort of thing." He admitted, and Tiger just waved her free hand, as if to say it was fine.

To James, the dress was something extremely beautiful, and if it were on Tiger, then, in the words of Sirius -  he wouldn't know what to do with himself.

"I'll embroider the stars up here and on the shoulders." Tiger said, "I'll pull in the middle so it looks more fitted and the star buttons can fasten it at the back."

"You'll look incredible." James murmured, and Tiger blushed, but busied herself in taking off lilac under dress and securing the areas of mesh with whatever pins would do the job.

She left the mesh on the mannequin, walking over to James and slumping down besides him. "Thank you for staying behind with me on that day to get the fabric." She said and James smiled.

"It's honestly fine. There is only one thing you could do for me." He said, and Tiger looked up, waiting for him to continue. "Help me with this homework."

James produced the roll of parchment and quill out of his pocket and Tiger physically deflated with a sigh.

"I thought you were going to ask me to do something really dodgy." She admitted with a laugh, and James smiled, looking over at her.

"I would never. Unless it was within reason." He replied and Tiger nodded, agreeing with his terms. "But you mentioned you would help me yesterday and I know you're busy but I just-"

"Sh." Tiger clamped a hand over James's mouth, shutting him up quickly and in a effective manner. "Now I finished mine last night, so I have a brief idea of what to do."

Tiger removed her hand, wiping it on her jeans, then looked at James, who was blushing. "James, come on, focus. It's not like we did anything is it? Merlin knows what you would be like if I kissed you or something." Tiger rolled her eyes, and then the inevitable silence fell.

Both of them had froze, James's blush spreading even further and turning even more pink. "Forget I said that." Tiger ended up saying, hurrying to pull the parchment out of James's hands.

"Of course." James quickly said, following Tiger's lead and focusing on the homework, even though both of their faces and minds were ablaze with the thought of Tiger's words.

Because no matter how cool and calm James Potter and Tiger Howell appeared on the outside, no matter how much they smirked and were sarcastic and seemed to just be able to go with the flow, no matter to how they dressed or how they looked or what they chose to do at the weekend.

Neither were anything but two awkward teenagers, who despite having been in love before, were like those who had fallen for the very first time, in the sort of awkward, tumbling way someone would.

They were just teenagers falling in love, with no worries or sense or care for anything but happiness.