7. Inside the Haveli

It was the second time Meh'r-Bano entered the grounds of the haveli when she began to digest the enormity of the haveli and grounds. The chief maid, Ulfat Naz led Meh'r-Bano on a tour of the sixteen-acre haveli grounds with five acres of well-tended gardens. Central haveli was knows as 'Sang E Mar Mar Haveli', marble house. The haveli had an architecture like no other. The entire complex of central Sang e Mar Mar haveli was built with sandstone and marble with gold topped towers. Pressurized water fountains jetted water into the humid air. The complex was a fortress, protected by twelve-foot-high walls guarded twenty-four hours with armed uniformed and loyal security guards who would give their life for Choudhary's family. Central Sang e Mar Mar Haveli consisted of one hundred and fifty-four rooms. There were other separate buildings which housed other members of the family. It took a small army of servants, mostly from the village of Ankara, to upkeep such a large residence and most of the rooms were rarely used.

"This is the main kitchen." Ulfat led Meh'r-Bano into the square shape dark kitchen with two small windows placed high near the ceiling. A concrete shelf ran along the top of the kitchen decorated with glass jars of various spices, beans, lentils, achaar. Each jar beamed a vibrant colour than the previous jar. Mosaic blue and white tiles ran along the counters reflecting the little light that entered the kitchen. Inside there were two large six spiked cookers where a small army of kitchen maids cooked daily.

"Outside, Jamil mans the two tandoors. Tandoori roti for the servants will only be cooked at two times in the day. One o' clock and five o'clock. Don't expect it at any other time." Ulfat informed her in a stern tone. Two middle aged women with their scarves wrapped around their forehead knead the dough ready for early morning breakfast. Their heavy bodies pressurised their hands as they worked their way through the large metal kneading bowls.

"Laides, this is, Mehjabin-" Ulfat introduced.

"No, it's Meh'r-Bano" She corrected.

"Yes, yes. Whatever. Mehja Bano- she will teach the children whatever she knows." Ulfat turned her nose at Meh'r-Bano thinking her no more than a scullery maid.

The two kitchen maids had their ear to the ground and Shamim told them everything about Meh'r-Bano, including her eye watering salary.

"We have a special chef for the noble household. He makes select dishes for the grandchildren because they have a western taste." Ulfat highlighted the importance of the grandchildren.
"They like burgels were!" One chatty maid blurted out wiping the beads of sweat from her forehead.
"Our blessed nawasi (granddaughter) of the haveli, was crying for long potatoes strips. What are they called?" She looked at the Fareeda.

"Freeyes. I know it. Freeyes." Fareeda jigged with joy on remembering the English word.

"They dip freeyes in tomatoes." Said the mouthy maid. "Ugh! Tauba!" She stuck her tongue out in disgust.

"Chup!" Ulfat clapped her hands. "Work your hands not your tongues. Jaldi!"

Meh'r-Bano concealed her smile behind her black chador. Her husband wrote her a list of things she must not do whistle in the premises. Firstly; 'You must never smile or laugh.' It was difficult to keep that promise when she met the two sassy maids contending over the correct pronunciation of fries.

Trying to keep up with Ulfat's quick step Meh'r-Bano was dazzled by the grounds of the enormous haveli. The gardens, rose beds, hedges were well tended bestowing a coolness to the haveli grounds and a twittering of birds. Meh'r-Bano stopped two watched a Bulbul perched high on haveli wall. Its feathers raised like a Mohican, rouge red blushing cheeks with a cheerfully singing tone. Meh'r-Bano was fascinated with the beautiful small bird evoking memories when she lived in Neelam valley. Her father built a nest in the garden with a handmade wooden bird feed table inviting various birds to the table. Each morning, the soft, tender and sweet sing-song of the bulbul broke her sleep.