- 1 4 3 - LORELEI'S MISSION

"MISS CALYPSO," Dumbledore called her name in the Order meeting

"MISS CALYPSO," Dumbledore called her name in the Order meeting. It was supposed to be brief since Dumbledore had to get back to the school, so there were not many people there except the ones he called for. The twins and Lorelei were there along with the matriarch and patriarch of the Weasley family. Remus and Tonks, Kingsley, Mad-Eye, and a few others were also around. Lorelei gulped at the staggering numbers of Order members. They were dying almost weekly now, and others were going into hiding. "Miss Calypso?"

Lorelei shook her head to rid of the terrible thoughts. "Yes, sir?" she asked politely. She was now excelling at her training in dueling, Remus had said so himself at the beginning of the meeting to Dumbledore when he asked about her progress. Apparently, he wanted Lorelei trained since the beginning because she was such a target.

"I have a mission for you, if you were to take it," he said softly. George immediately tensed next to her. She hadn't been given many missions because of the target on her back, and he was enjoying it. He and Fred had gone on three missions in total, always with either Kingsley or Mad-Eye. "Would you like to hear it?" Lorelei nodded. "I need you to try your best to convince the merfolk of aiding us. I know it's very unlikely--"

"Its impossible," Lorelei muttered. "What good will the merfolk be?"

"They will aid in healing. That was always the goal, you see. They are vicious creatures and can fight if they wish, but merfolk are the best healers in the world, Miss Calypso. You were rather bright at Potions, wasn't she, Severus?" Dumbledore asked Snape. Snape only gave a nod of his head. "Excellent. What do you say? Voldemort will be trying to recruit some as well, so it will be dangerous--"

"I don't know..." George mumbled out making Lorelei glare at him. "Lor... if You-Know-Who has wizards out there--"

"I'll be fine," Lorelei said without giving George room to argue. She nodded at Dumbledore. "When do I start?"

"The full moon after Christmas. I'd say stay down there for about four months if you can manage it. They will not trust you, nor will they like what you have to say, but if you are around, some will come to you. Trust me," Dumbledore said, ignoring the glares from Remus, Fred, and George. They had no idea about this, and she was going along with it like there was not anything else she could be doing. George deflated at the thought. He knew she felt useless, maybe that was why she didn't want to stay around them. Had he driven her away? The thought was brushed aside when her hand met his under the table, and she gave it a squeeze.

"I'll do it."

George had been giving Lorelei the cold shoulder since she agreed to the mission a few days ago.

He hated that he wanted to be selfish keeping her safe in his home, but she didn't want that. She wanted to be free and do good for the war, and he hated it. Fred noticed the tension between them as soon as they made it back to the flat that night. The past couple of days he had been trying to put them in the same room to talk, but it normally ended with George yelling how much he didn't want her to go and her saying she didn't care because she was.

Lorelei did care about his feelings and opinions, but he didn't understand what it was like to constantly feel a burden for almost a year now. She had to get out there and do something that was helping the Order. She would be underwater! The worst that would happen is a fight would break out with the merfolk, and she would bring her wand. She would always have the upperhand. George just didn't understand it.

Lorelei even decided to sleep at Remus's home after their third yelling match. She couldn't fathom why he was so angry with her decision, but when she asked Remus, he just said to look at it from his perspective. Lorelei rolled her eyes as he continued, "He loves you, Lorelei. He can't be there to protect you in the water, and it's killing him that you didn't even consider asking him before agreeing to it."

"I shouldn't have to ask!"

"But he would've rathered you ask to show you had thought of his feelings. What's the real reason you're going to do this mission?" Remus asked before taking a sip of his coffee. They sat at his kitchen table, a quiet aura around them besides the words they were uttering.

Lorelei felt like shit, but she just wished George would see it from her perspective if she were to see it from his. She had gone so long depending on others, but now she can finally be of some use to Dumbledore and this war. She was happy that she was being treated like an adult who could do something beneficial. She told this to Remus who just grinned and replied, "You're both stubborn. It's better to just kiss and make up because you'll be leaving soon. You can sleep here tonight, but I want you both to make up tomorrow."

Lorelei agreed as she stood to clean the cup she had used. Remus told her he had to go back to the werewolf colony in the South since they were finally warming up to him. The two half-breeds were looked down upon by their beastly brothers and sisters, but both would do anything to prove their use in the Order. Remus wouldn't admit how much Lorelei reminded him of himself because it would make her think George was wrong, but he couldn't help but see the similarities.