Chapter 57: Insomnia

I pretty much spent the rest of my evening texting a few friends after going to bed, as I always used to before starting my hero training. Of course, those " friends " that I texted back then were just a few people on social media.

I didn't exactly have friends back then. However, although they weren't all with me in person, I had plenty of friends! I actually spent a while texting Mina, told her about the suspension on my relationship with Tsu, to which she was disappointed.

She tried to offer me romance advice, but I already knew the best choice was to just leave her be, so I just politely went along and listened to some of her ideas. Most of them... Were not Tsu's style whatsoever.

After it turned midnight, everyone I was texting went to sleep, so I decided I would at least try too. I wasn't really that tired, but since I'd been staring at a screen in a dark room for a few hours, my eyes were sore enough to trick myself into going to sleep.

Eventually I drifted off, but sometime later had a nightmare. Some horrible dream where I was shunned by everyone I cared about, and dragged down into the ground by skeletal hands. My dreams always had something to do with someone dying... It was usually me.

I woke up struggling to breathe for a moment, before realizing it was just a bad dream and I wasn't actually suffocating underground. I decided to get up and go downstairs to the kitchen to make myself some tea to calm my nerves.

Already fairly accustomed to the layout of the mansion, I didn't bother with switching any lights on. I didn't want to somehow wake up another resident, so made my way down by memory and shadows that indicated there was a wall in front of me.

I made my way to the kitchen, and there were a few dim lights in there from appliances. It was quiet, and there were vague shapes in the room that I didn't register as I switched on the light.

Mr Aizawa groaned and shielded his eyes, causing me to jump and gasp. Recovering from the shock, I noticed it wasn't just him, but six others were there with him! As well as Mr Aizawa, there was Misaki, Shinsou, Yaoyorozu, Kaminari, Jirou, and Tokoyami.

" I've had enough of cults this week to deal with this crap. " I said sleepily as Jirou chuckled.

" It's not a cult, we just can't sleep sometimes, so meet up here and chat. "

Kaminari excitedly dubbed them, " We're the Insomniac Hours! "

Shinsou glanced at him and said, " No one agreed to that. You suggested it. No one liked it. "

Rubbing my eyes, I replied, " None of you were even talking, I thought I was about to get stabbed. "

I made my way over the top kettle and put some water in, before switching it on and getting the teabag and cup ready, along with a spoon.

" So what's up with you lot? Why can't ya sleep? " I asked to make conversation.

" Sleep? What's that? " Jirou asked, to which Shinsou and Mr Aizawa chuckled a little almost in unison.

" I just got home from a shift at the hospital, so I like to say hi to everyone and chat a little before bed. " Misaki said.

" Revelry in- "

" The darkness, got it... " I finished for Tokoyami.

" As lovely as it is to have everyone here, the circumstances and... The actions... Are really quite stressful. " Yaoyorozu admitted, having restless nights for a while now.

" I got up to pee one night and heard them talking so I thought I'd vibe with them. " Kaminari said.

" He literally sets an alarm to wake up and talk to us now, we can't seem to get rid of him. " Shinsou informed me.