twenty four | outfit change

Hey what's down there?" Katara pointed to a crescent-shaped island, with a volcano rising with smoke sitting at the top.

"Wait- That's him!" Sokka exclaimed, looking at an unconscious boy on the shore.

"Appa, down." Katara commanded.

As Appa landed in the water the four ran to him, Momo reaching Aang first, licking his face to wake him.

"You're okay!" Katara smiled in relief, hugging him.

Toph and Sokka joined the hug while Mari stood to the side smiling lightly.

"I have so much to do." Aang said.

"I know, you'll have our help." Katara responded,

"You didn't think you could get out of training just by coming to the fire nation did you?" Toph questioned.

"What about the invasion?" Aang turned to Sokka.

"We'll join up with my dad and the invasion force on the day of the eclipse." Sokka said, referring to the upcoming eclipse that would strip the fire benders of their power for the duration of the event.

"Hey what's- oh." Toph said picking up Aang's, now destroyed staff.

"It's okay. If someone saw it, it would give away my identity. It's better for now that no one knows I'm alive. He said, before airbending up and stabbing into the ground near the flowing lava. As he walked away, it engulfed in flames, burning on the crescent island.

--

"I think I see a cave below." Aang said loudly, concealed under a cloud of water vapor Katara had bent around them to hide Appa.

"Shh! Keep quiet." Sokka scolded. Aang only rolled his eyes and bent an air wave to diminish the cloud, which caused two birds to squawk loudly, making Sokka's frown deepen.

Dramatically the water tribe boy slid against a rock, peeking his eyes over it as if he was a spy. "Great job with the cloud camo but next time let's disguise ourselves as the kind of cloud who knows how to keep its mouth shut.

"Yeah, wouldn't want a bird to here us chatting up there and turn us in." Toph responded sarcastically earning two giggles from Katara and Mari.

"Hey!" Sokka raised his voice at the three girls joking about him. "We're in enemy territory. Those are enemy birds."

The five continued to walk into the cave Aang pointed to earlier. As they all, inluding Appa were inside the cave Sokka turned to them.

"Well, this is it. This is how we'll be living until the invasion begins. Hiding in cave after cave....after cave."

"Sokka, I don't think we need to become cave people" Mari chuckled. "What we need is some new clothes."

"Yeah, blending in is better than hiding out." Aang added. "If we get fire nation disguises, we'll be just as safe as we would be hiding in a cave."

"Plus, they have real food out there. Does anyone want to sit in the dirt and eat cave hoppers?" Toph said banging the cave wall next to her causing tiny white hopping insects to fly out onto the ground. Everyone made the same disgusted face, except for Momo who gladly pounced onto one and made it it's mid-day snack.

"Looks like we got outvoted sport." Sokka said to Momo. "Let's get some new clothes."

--

"I don't know about this." Aang said from behind a rock as they looked into someone's backyard that was filled with drying fire nation laundry. "These clothes belong to somebody."

"I call the silk robe!" Katara shouted running over and grabbing her pick.

"But, if it's essential to our survival then I call the suit!" Aang responded, running over as well.

Mari, Toph, and Sokka smiled as they hopped over the rock and ran to pick out an outfit.

"Mari try this!" Katara handed her a long red skirt with gold beads that were meant to hang around her waist.

"Here, take these." In return, Mari handed Katara gold bangles meant to clasp around each forearm.

"Common ladies, we gotta go." Toph rolled her eyes, a little jealous. Mari smiled a little before turning behind her and grabbing a headband, quite similar to Toph's signature green one, except it was completely gold. She placed it on the girls head and smiled. "Alright, now we can go."

They returned to the cave to change into their new outfits, each of them excited for their new look.

"Tada! Normal kid." Aang said tying a headband around his the part of his arrow tattoo on his forehead that wasn't concealed by his hair.

"Hmm. I should probably wear shoes but then I won't be able to see as well." Toph sat down on a rock and pulled the sides of the shoe tightly. "Sorry shoes." She smiled popping the sole out of it, which flew and slapped Sokka's face.

"Finally, a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender." She said standing up.

"How do we look?" Katara asked walking up to them.

The three turned to see Katara and Mari standing there, both wearing different hairstyles than before, and dressed in similar fire nation attire.

(A/N feel free to imagine whatever you want for Mari's new outfit, however, if you need a reference, I imagined it to be something like Azula's ember island party outfit.)

"Uh, you're mom's necklace." Aang pointed out.

"Oh..oh yeah. I guess it's pretty obviously water tribe, isn't it.

--

They traveled into a town to find more accessories for their outfits. Katara bought a necklace that fit like her mother's, and Sokka bought a fire nation clip to hold up his bun. "I used to visit my friend Kuzon here 100 years ago. So everyone just follow my lead and stay cool. Or as they say in the Fire Nation, stay flamin'!" Aang said confidently.

"Greetings my good hotman!" Aang said to a random man.

"Hotman...?" Mari whispered to herself.

"Oh, were going to a meat place?" Aang asked when they walked up to a food stand.

"Come on Aang, everyone here eats meat, even the meat!" Sokka said pointing to a hippo cow who was chomping on a leg of something.

Aang made a grossed-out face. "You guys go ahead. I'll just get some lettuce out of the garbage."

The rest made their way into the restaurant while Aang stayed outside.