five

It was quarter to midnight and this particular highway was completely deserted.

Chaerin glanced at the rearview mirror before shifting the gear and stepping on the gas, the speed meter jumping like it was going to break because of the sudden acceleration

Chaerin's surroundings rapidly mix into a big blur of colors.

She could see the intersection up ahead and the stoplight counting down the seconds before it turns red, her eyes lighting up with a challenge.

She first examined the surrounding area for any incoming cars before stepping on the gas further.

The stoplight turned yellow, counting down the numbers till it turns red.

Reaching the intersection, she grabbed the handbrake and raised the lever, then turned the steering wheel to the left as much as she can, the car began to drift, barely missing the sidewalk by an inch or two.

She smiled, feeling the adrenaline rush through her veins. As she began to slow down, the sound of her phone ringing caught her attention. Not in the mood to talk to people, she ignored it, but the caller was more persistent than she thought.

Chaerin grabbed the phone from the front seat and checked the contact number.

Unknown
No Caller ID

She squinted my eyes at the screen, well doesn't this look sketchy.

She swiftly parked the car at the side of the road and switched on her emergency lights, before pressing the green button flashing on her phone.

"Hello?" Chaerin asked cautiously, she was met by silence. Her first thought would be a prank call, yet why would they call multiple times if it wasn't important?

"I'm hanging up," She said from the lack of response.

"Wait! Uh listen," Her eyebrows shot up at the familiar tone.

"Is this..?"

"The guy from the convenience store," Brown-eyed guy?

"How did you get my phone number? You know what, never mind that. Why are you calling? At midnight nonetheless," She asked, whispering the last part, confusion lacing her tone.

"I need to talk to you,"

"You already are," She responded matter-of-factly.

"Not over the phone," He answered back.

"Where do you propose then?"

"The cafe at the northwestern street,"

"I am not going to a cafe with you, remember what happened 4 hours ago?" Chaerin asked bewildered at his suggestion, "Plus I don't even know you, you don't exactly have a good track record with me,"

Considering I have been confronted by a gang the first time I met him, then almost got shot the second time, maybe a third time isn't a good idea.

"Listen, you're in danger," This caught Chaerin's attention, however, it didn't surprise her. Considering what her idea of fun is, she was constantly in danger.

"So can we talk?" He asks after a few seconds of silence.

Chaerin debated it in her mind for a few more seconds, If I go there, a lot of bad things might happen, If I don't go curiosity will eat me alive. Plus it's in broad daylight, what's the worst thing that can happen?

Famous last words.

She let out a sigh, muttering something along the lines of "I'm probably going to regret this,"

"Fine, tomorrow at 3 pm," She responded.

"Well, Uh- I'll see you tomorrow then,"

She hummed a response before ending the call.

Tomorrow is bound to be an interesting day.

• • •

The small bell rang throughout the cafe and Chaerin was greeted by the aroma of coffee and vanilla.

She walked up to the counter, only to be greeted by a familiar face.

"Chaerin! What would you like today?"

"Hi Jaemin," the boy was enthusiastic as always, his smile brightening the entire room, "Anything you would recommend?" She asked, and as soon she looked up to see the grin on his face, she instantly regretted it.

"If it's that black liquid you carry around that you call coffee, I don't want it," Chaerin said with a slight grimace.

"I don't get why you people don't like my coffee recipe," he pouted, "It's really good,"

It's death coffee that's what it is.

"I'll just have an iced mocha,"

After Jaemin ringed her up and served her drink, she looked for a seat.

It was currently 2:57 pm, and she was slowly regretting agreeing to the brown-eyed guy. She didn't even know his name.

The small bell rung once again, and she looked up to meet dark brown eyes for the third time in less than two weeks.

___________________________

I don't really like this chapter because I think my writing sucks. I'll try to do better in the next one!
___________________________

 I'll try to do better in the next one!___________________________

exhilarating | mark lee
gabrielle_010