二 六

T H E   G H O S T ,    E T S U K O 

       "You're late!" Naruto shouted and jutted his elbow out at Kakashi. "Today's the first time we get a mission as a new team. Kakashi–Sensei, you've been like this for ages, be enthusiastic for once!"

      "Oh just let it go," Sakura jerked Naruto in the arm and looked away hastily. "There's nothing Kakashi–Sensei can do about the fact that he has a face devoid of any enthusiasm!"

      Kuragari gave a kaw as it circled over the dismantled Team Seven. Through my crow's vision, I could see that something was unnerving Kakashi―and that Naruto and Sakura could sense it too. I knew word hadn't travelled of Gaara's capture yet and that Kuragari would be the first to alert the village. 

      Kakashi extended his arm for Kuragari to swoop down. The crow dropped the scroll into his open palm. Kakashi unfurled the scroll with one hand and skim read it before his visible eye retracted in its socket.

       "Hey isn't that Etsuko's crow from earlier?" Naruto poked at his beak, shrieking in pain when Kuragari bit down on the end of Naruto's finger. 

      "Etsuko?" Sakura frowned.

      She hadn't known me personally, and I didn't think Sasuke or Naruto mentioned my influence to her when they were younger. She scratched her pink hair in confusion as Naruto averted his gaze whereas Kakashi turned around and started to walk back down the alleyway.

       "Kakashi–Sensei?" Naruto mumbled with his finger stuck in his mouth.

       "Meet me at the Hokage Tower," Kakashi said nothing else as he walked away. "There's been a change of plans." 

       I wondered if Kakashi knew who Pein's intel were. He'd been briefed on the Akatsuki through the messages between Tsunade and me, but nothing really ever came up about the two Akatsuki from Amegakure. Pein couldn't sink his talons into Izumo or Kotetsu, or get information from Tsunade herself―then what masked Deidara's drone?

          "Are you sure that showing yourself to Naruto after all these years is wise?" Kakashi asked Kuragari as he strolled towards the Hokage Tower. "I mean, it's your decision after all―but I'm not sure how Naruto will take it, he thinks you've abandoned him."

       Kuragari squawked in response.

        "I understand," Kakashi scratched his chin. "There will certainly be a strong risk since Gaara's been captured, Naruto shared a close bond with him after you left. And then there's the problem of Itachi being in the Akatsuki, if we're to encounter him...Naruto will blame him for you defecting from the village."

       "Naruto doesn't trust Lady Tsunade either, she doesn't show leniency towards Naruto's behaviour," Kakashi scaled the steps of the Hokage Tower. "As for the ANBU, they've grown and become prominent once again―Danzo, however, has remained low-key and rarely shows his face. When he heard of your supposed death, he spoke a private eulogy about you to the Jonnin of the Leaf."

      Two ANBU guards stayed at their posts in front of the Hokage Office. I recognised one of the masked ANBU; the clear distinct pattern belonged to none other than Tenzo. If I'd killed him in the ANBU massacre, I knew I would've regretted it―I was just grateful that he'd survived and stayed away from my wrath.

      "I have urgent news for Lady Hokage," Kakashi nodded at the ANBU when the allowed him to pass.

      Inside the office was the same as the previous time I was in there, except Tsunade looked royally pissed off over something. She tipped a cup full of sake into her mouth and swallowed hard, templing her fingers as Naruto and Sakura turned to frown at Kakashi―something was definitely wrong.