6

Jay sucked in a shaky breath of air. "How did I die?"

"Guess who killed you," Kieran said, his eyes alight with excitement.

Jay didn't feel as enthused at the thought of dying. "You?"

Kieran shook his head. "I'm not even offended you thought that." His smile was sickening. "It was Raegan, our sister."

"The blondie?" She recalls the female who was concerned with not getting enough sleep.

Kieran nodded his head. "She snapped your neck, and you dropped like a sack of potatoes."

"Enough, Kieran." Brennan scowled at him. Brennan looked at Jay, and so did Kieran. She was sure that every emotion she was feeling was on display.

Jay felt sick to her stomach. "But I thought you said a werewolf couldn't turn into a vampire." The words sounded strange on her tongue.

Brennan's jaw clenched and unclenched. Jay could see the muscle moving. "I'm not wrong about what I said. It is not possible. That is why we're talking here where no one else can hear us."

Jay didn't want to hear the answer, but she spoke anyway. "And if people find out?" She didn't like the face Kieran made. It was almost of pity.

"Some would see you as an experiment, "Kieran spoke. "Others may see you as a gift. But mainly a threat."

Jay wished she hadn't asked the question. Her stomach was in knots, and she felt as though she were going to pass out. Her body felt as though it was rippling with flames. She was too hot and needed some air.

"I need some air," Jay said in a breathy voice.

Brennan furrowed his eyebrows together and went to place a hand on her forehead. He recoiled back and stared with a look of confusion written on his face.

"It's almost winter," Kieran spoke. "And you're warm?" He said weirdly.

Brennan didn't turn to look at Kieran when speaking. "Go grab a blood bag from the cooler."

She nearly vomited at hearing the word. "For the purpose of?"

"You need to eat," Brennan said as Kieran left the room in a flash and was back seconds later with a bag and glass. He squeezed the blood into the glass and stuck his hand out in the direction of Jay. She grimaced at the thought of drinking that. But her mouth salivated, and her stomach rumbled at the smell of it.

"No way!" Jay said. "I'm not drinking that." Her gums ached, and she felt razor-sharp teeth poking her lips.

Kieran waved the glass in front of her. The contents slowly moved around. "It's not as good in a bag. I normally like mine served through a vein, but I'm not picky." Kieran's words sickened her.

There was a strange feeling on her face. Her fingers felt their way around her eyes. It felt like worms were slithering under her skin.

Jay turned her face away from the two of them. She didn't want them to look at her. That was a big mistake. She hadn't noticed the mirror hanging on the wall behind her. Her eyes were swarming with pulsating red veins. But her eyes were no longer their standard brown colour. They were pitch black. Even the whites of her eyes could not be seen. She opened her mouth to see multiple sets of sharp teeth where her human teeth used to be.

"You're reacting because you're hungry." Brennan's voice sounded muffled over the roaring sound of blood rushing in her ears. "If you drink this, you won't look like that anymore."

She pulled her face away from the mirror and looked at the glass of blood. The smell of it made her stomach pull into knots. Although she was afraid, the pull of hunger overtook her sense.