Chapter 39: Refugee

"Safe Haven?" Katherine voiced her thoughts out loud. "We made it." She said in disbelief as tears of joy formed in her eyes.

"We made it."

Everyone quickly turned to the far end of the tent to see John now sitting up on the bed with a hand to his head.

"John?" Katherine asked.

"Did you just say we're in Safe Haven?" John asked slowly standing to his feet.

The general nodded. "Yes."

"Okay, but why am I chained to this bed like a prisoner?" John asked, looking down at his ankle. "It doesn't really sound like a 'safe' haven."

"It's for precaution." Dr. Sullivan answered, stepping forward. John looked at her not saying anything he just glanced between the two individuals.

"Look, I know this may be overwhelming and confusing, but trust me you're safe here. We just needed to make sure you weren't brainwashed by them." The general said. John looked at him for a moment then nodded his head in understanding.

"I think you two been here long enough why don't we get you something to eat and we can discuss any questions you have over dinner." Dr. Sullivan suggested.

The general looked over towards Dr. Sullivan then to Katherine. "Yes. I don't think that you're a threat...for now. So, men will be keeping a close eye over both of you."

............

"Do the pants fit you ok?" Katherine looked up to see Dr. Sullivan standing by the entranced of the tent.

"Oh, they fit fine. Thank you." Katherine said, looking down at her new clothes. The outfit was plain but comfortable. She had on a grey pair of sweat pants and a dark green plain long sleeve shirt. Along with it, she was given some combat boots to wear.

"Good...Oh, their someone who wants to see you." Dr. Sullivan said with a smile on her face. She turns and opened up the curtain. "You can come in now." She said, walking in.

Katherine's eyes widen as she saw who walked in the tent. "Bri." She said, running up to her wrapping her arms around her neck. Bri wasted no time in tightening the hug around Katherine's waist.

"I thought I will never see you again," Bri said, releasing Katherine from the embrace. "We have a lot of catching up to do." She said with a smile.

Katherine smile. "Definitely."

"Uhm..." Bri and Katherine both turned to Dr. Sullivan. "I'll be back later. I'm going to show your friend, John, around." Katherine nodded as she watches her leave the tent.

..........

"A lot has changed in my life, Katherine." Bri began, looking down in her lap. Katherine and Bri both sat criss-cross on the bed as they began to talk. "Charlie is gone, Katherine."

Katherine looked over at her, eyes widen as tears began to form in them. "Gone? You mean he..."

Bri shrugged her shoulders. "I haven't seen him since the night I and my family left Atlanta. The last I saw him was when he gave me a hug good-bye." Bri and Charlie both lived in the same neighborhood, in fact, they lived next door to each other. "His family went one way and mines went another, going the directions our parents thought would be safe for us."