4. The first strike

It was a cold August morning. George was quietly running down the castle stairs, carrying a basket in his right hand. He reached the ground floor and headed to the kitchens, his grip tightening around the basket handle.

Quickly yet carefully, he opened the doors, making sure that Sapnap wasn't lurking around there. He scanned the empty kitchen before entering, picking up the loaves of bread and putting them into the basket.

He took a bit of cheese, water and some fruit before leaving and walking out of the castle. He felt goosebumps on his arms but ignored them, walking towards the forest. It was not long until he reached Clay, who was fast asleep. George set down the basket and sat down next to him.

"Wake up, I have food," George muttered quietly, running his hand through Clay's blonde hair. The younger boy mumbled something and rolled to his side. George scoffed, "Wake up, idiot!"

"I'm up, I'm up," Clay groaned, propping himself on his elbows and flashing George an annoyed stare. It quickly faded when he noticed the basket.

The brunette threw him a loaf of bread and bit of cheese, taking a bite from his loaf. The two ate in silence, until George broke it, "Clay, Sapnap and Bad will try to find you in a day or two. You need to get out of here."

"They won't find me," Clay replied, shoving the loaf into his mouth. George looked at him in a concerned type of way, turning back to his bread, "The forest is my best bet. I don't have anywhere else to go, do I? I can't go home."

Clay's voice trailed off. George's face fell. "Look, it will be okay. Also, your code name is Dream," said George, glancing up at the sky. It was very cloudy, "That's how Sapnap refers to you, anyways. To protect your identity."

The blonde nodded, finishing his bread and being handed a linen cloth with a box of powder. Clay smiled gratefully, nodding to the box and standing up. George grimaced, "It's the least I could do."

"I have to head back, the guards will be wondering where I am. Please be careful," George continued, hesitating before pulling the taller boy into a hug. Clay hugged back, letting him go reluctantly and watching him disappear through the trees.

He decided to go to the stream, crouching down and washing his face in the cold water. He carefully opened the box with the powder, putting the linen in it and rubbing his teeth with it. His mind was drifting in another direction, whilst he brushed his teeth.

How was he going to fight them off? The only weapon he had was the dagger he nicked and his bow with three arrows. He needed to think of a plan.

So for the rest of the day, he spent his time scheming a plan. The next morning he was awoken in cold sweat. He thought he heard something and was ready to run, however it was only a deer. He spent the next few days in constant concern. What didn't help was the fact that George didn't come visit him. He was growing more and more nervous with each passing hour.

It had been two days since he had seen George's face. He was starting to distract himself with crafting new weapons and other things. That is, until George ran into him in the middle of the day.

Clay's face brightened. "George!" he said brightly, a smile tugging on his lips. George, however, didn't return the grin. On the contrary, he pushed Clay, turning his head wildly.

"Run! They're coming!" George hissed, panic rising in the atmosphere. The blonde froze. George nudged him again, this time with a bit more force, "Run, you idiot! Get out of here!"

Clay grabbed his dagger, taking the food and darting through the forest. He nearly tripped over his own feet, running past the trees as he zig zagged in an unknown direction. George watched him before turning back and retracing his steps. He ended up in the same place, looking over his shoulder and waiting for Bad and Sapnap.

"Where did he go? I thought you had him!" said Sapnap breathlessly, looking around the forest. Bad was holding the lead of a hound, who was sniffing the ground intensly, "He must be close, look at the dog."

"Rat's sniffed something out!" Bad exclaimed excitedly, petting the dog affectionately. Rat barked aggressively, pulling Bad in the direction Clay ran off to. George shuffled his feet nervously. "Follow her!"

Sapnap and Bad started running after the canine who was now practically running after the scent. George was praying that Clay was long gone, however his heart sank when he noticed the blonde after a few minutes of following Rat. Sapnap grinned menacingly.

"There he is!" said Sapnap, pointing at Clay. Clay snapped his head back, his eyes widening when he saw the two guards accompanied by a growling dog. He ran up a hill, adrenaline pumping as he clutched the dagger in his right hand, ready to throw it at any second.

His mind was racing. He couldn't get caught. He ran around the tree, pressing his back against the wood as he caught his breath. Just then, an idea hit him.

Sapnap and Bad ran up the hill, Rat barking excitedly as the scent got stronger. He was close. George ran behind them, wondering where Clay went. Just then, Clay jumped from behind the tree, a flask in his hand. It was the flask George gave him, along with the bread and the basket. What was he doing?

"We can do this the easy way, or the hard way, Dream," Sapnap yelled, sword in hand. The guards stopped, watching the blonde cautiously. Clay smirked, shaking the bottle slightly, "No one needs to get hurt if you just give yourself up."

The blonde didn't move. Instead, he lowered his head and took a whiff of the flask. "Don't test me, Snapmap, I have something you don't," Clay whispered dangerously, sending chills down George's spine. What was he doing? He was going to get himself killed!

"And what is that?" Sapnap scoffed, eyeing the flask suspiciously, sword ready to strike. Clay took a sip from the flask, a twisted smile forming on his handsome face, "Strength potion."

Potions were quite uncommon in these parts of the kingdom, however they weren't nonexistent. How Clay got that was a mystery. George was fairly sure he was lying, but grew much more hesitant. Rat stopped growling when she sensed that something was wrong.

Gripping his dagger tightly, Clay dashed at the two guards. Even though they weren't entirely convinced that he was telling the truth, neither of them stayed long enough to find out. All three of them dispersed, screaming in fear.

Clay laughed maniacally, chasing both guards with the dagger lifted above his head. Sapnap darted to the right, Bad and Rat to the left, leaving George, who was frozen with fear. Clay turned to him, his grin widening.

"Oh George!!!" Clay taunted, running after the brunette. George's eyes widened in fear. Fortunately for him, Clay picked him up, bridal style, and ran away with him, away from the other two guards. George exhaled in relief, wrapping his arms around Clay's neck.

"There was no strength potion, was there?" George muttered, amused. Clay shook his head, slowing down his pace. George laughed softly, staring up at his friend, "You're a genius."

Clay didn't respond, he just smiled involuntarily, letting George go. George sat down on the grass, chuckling at what just occurred. Clay wheezed along, both of them giggling childishly.

"This- haha -was gold!" Clay choked out in between laughs, feeling his cheeks hurt from all the laughing. George got up, grinning widely.

"Yeah.. but you need to be more careful. I was so worried,"George added, his grin twitching a bit. Clay furrowed his eyebrows, "I guess you can't really go back. I need to go find them, persuade them to go find you some other day. Please be safe."

"Safe is my middle name," Clay chuckled, touching George's face softly. George relaxed his facial features glancing up at the blonde boy, "I'll be fine, I promise."

George smiled weakly, pressing his face into Clay's hand. The two stood there for a few seconds, before George pulled away, giving one last hopeful glance at Clay before heading back to find the others.

Clay turned back and continued walking through the giant forest, not believing he actually pulled that off.

Then again, he never doubted himself anyways.