16 | what you'll sorely miss

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

     "Sam! Sam, wait!"

     But Samira didn't wait. Making her way to the Black Lake, she utterly ignored Fred Weasley calling her name. If it was George's plan to send his brother to sooth the stormy sea for him, he was even poorer than Samira had thought.

     "Don't you give in", Ian to her left muttered, as if Samira would have needed this advice. She wouldn't give in. What George Weasley did, he didn't deserve a second chance.

     "I don't know", Nora to her right said in an unusual small voice. "I know he's a ratbag and all, but I can't believe he would sell you to Skeeter, Sam. He —"

     "He's never shown interest in me, and out of the blue he asked me for a date", Samira replied through gritted teeth, her eyes fixated on the lake in front of her, that grew taller in the distance with every step she took. "He even told me, he needs money for his stupid joke shop! You can't tell me this is a coincidence."

     "But it is!" A panting Fred Weasley appeared next to Nora. He'd ran all down the hill to catch up with her. "See, George didn't tell Skeeter shit. She must have been around in the pub!"

     "Unlikely", Samira coldly replied. "It's not that Skeeter has a subtle appearance. I would have noticed her." She glared at Fred. "Hope you have fun with your payment, the two of you."

     "We for sure would have, but there was no payment", Fred scoffed. "C'mon, Diggory, give George a chance to explain this to you."

     "Why, so where is he then, if he's so desperate to explain anything?", Samira snapped, not giving Fred a chance to answer her question. "Listen, I'm about to jump into a bloody icy lake in about twenty minutes, and if I won't get eaten by the Giant Squid, then maybe I will think about letting your git of a brother talk to me about this. But I won't get my hopes high."

     Fastening her steps, she left Fred behind, and he didn't seem to intend to follow her further, so when she finally reached the lake, still seething, she told Ian and Nora goodbye, taking her place amongst the other champions, waiting for what was coming for her.

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

     When Samira reached the hostages, she had already crossed the time limit of one hour. Surprised, she noticed that Harry was already swimming circles around the four people hanging in midst of the water, floating like corpses, only held by a string of seaweed about five feet above the lake's ground.

     Harry noticed her, his eyes widening by the obscure view giving to him; Samira's legs had turned into a mermaid's tail, her blonde long hair was floating around her greenish pale face, covering the branchiae on either side of her throat.

     "Fleur and Krum are on their way", she told the long Gryffindor. "You should hurry up."

     Harry nodded, and Samira swam past him to get Cedric and make her way back to the surface; only there was no Cedric amongst the hostages. Blinking, Samira noticed Harry's two friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, and a young girl, no older than eight, that had to be Fleur's sister. Right next to her, his freckles pale as snowflakes, and his flaming red hair shining through the dark lake like a fire, was no other than George Weasley.

     What you'll sorely miss. "Oh c'mon", Samira mouthed, a few bubbles escaped her mouth.

     With a roll of her eyes, she wiped her wand against the seaweed rope that tied George to the ground, but he kept floating mid water. In this very moment, she actually considered to let the git drown in this damn lake, but at least she had a task to fullfil, and so Samira grabbed his arm and made her way up in a ridiculous speed. The mermaid's tail was by far the best idea she ever head, and though it cost her hours in the prefects' bathroom to practice this extremely elaborate spell, it was worth all the seconds she had to pay for it. She was incredibly fast, she didn't feel no cold, and she was able to breathe under water.

     Her self-admiration stopped, as her head broke through the surface a second before she pulled George up, who took a deep breath, before he shook his head, splashing water into Samira's face like a wet dog.

     George beamed brightly at her, and she could literally watch the colour return into his freckled face. "I must admit, I was a bit worried yesterday that you'd leave me down there, little Diggory", he chuckled, but Samira didn't return his happiness.

     "I must admit I considered it more than once", she replied in an icy voice. "You can swim, I guess?"

     Reaching the stands under thunderous applause, Samira felt all but euphoric. After taking the spell off of her, Cedric pulled her out of the water, not deigning to look at George.

     "You're the first to return!", Cedric yelled to drown the cheering crowd. "Must have been about ten minutes over the limit, but that's great though! You've won this task!"

     Out of the corner of her eyes, Samira watched George climb out of the water, being over dramatically greeted by his brother Percy, who threw a blanket around George's shivering body, and soon after, Samira felt a blanket being placed around her shoulder as well. Ian and Nora had made their way down the stands, hugging Samira tightly.

     "You'll be first place, I swear to Morgana!", Ian yelped, his cheeks all glowing red from the cold and excitement. "That was so cool!"

     "Fleur had to give up", Nora explained, as Samira's eyes landed on the crying mess of a Beauxbatons champion. "Her sister is still in there ..."

     "No need to worry", George suddenly said. "She'll be fine, they told us nothing would happen to us, even if you guys didn't succeed." His eyes fell on Samira. "Also I am not ungrateful you pulled me out of the puddle." He sheepishly smiled at her, but her face remained a frown. "Can we — can we talk?"

     "I guess not", Samira coldly replied. "This doesn't mean a thing."

     "I think it does, at least I am the thing you'd sorely miss, so we at least could discuss this."

     "No."

     And Samira left him standing, water still dripping from his hair and nose, and as she walked away, Samira felt gratitude for the water drops on her own face, that hid her tears so perfect.

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success. <3