Chapter 3 - Not a date

*Draco pov*
My suitcase was nearly full. Just Smokey's silk mouse to go. (Yes, my cat had good taste.) But where had she put it?

I went down to the common room, hoping to find it under a cushion or something, but something else caught my eye - Potter, alone in the corner, hunched over his Charms homework.

"Potter?" I called, sauntering over to the table. "Why on earth are you doing homework? It's half term, you should be packing!"

"I'm not going anywhere, Malfoy." He replied.

"Rubbish. I for one will not let you work all week while everyone else is having fun. Aren't you going to the Weasleys?" I asked incredulously.

"No," said Potter flatly. "Ron and Hermione havent got the week off from the Ministry, so there's no point."

"And what about your girlfriend, the miniature Weasley? She'll be there." I wasn't going to let him ruin this week for himself.

"I, um." Harry's cheeks went pink. "I don't really want to continue things with Ginny. I don't think I feel that way about her anymore. And it would be a bit cruel to go and stay with her for a week only to break up. I'd rather do it here, next week."

I sighed. This could be quite difficult. He couldn't exactly come with me, my parents would go mad. Also the whole 'meet the parents' thing would be weird because it would make it seem like we were together, which we obviously weren't because he was straight.

"I'll stay with you," I offered. "Seriously, otherwise you'll be the loner at our table. I can't let you ruin our image." Had that come out a bit weirdly? Oh well. "I'm going to go up to the owlery and let my parents know that I can't come see them this week."

I left Harry standing open mouthed in the common room.

*Harry/narrator pov (you know what I mean)*
Malfoy had done that? For Harry? He didn't understand. Sure, it was a bit depressing that he'd be here all alone, but... Malfoy just dropped everything so that Harry wouldn't be alone! Didn't he want to see his family?

Monday arrived. A lot of people had gone home, including Felicity and Susan. Malfoy didn't seem too upset to be spending the week with Harry and not his parents, and Harry was eternally grateful that Malfoy was here. The Halloween decorations were already up, waiting for Saturday. Malfoy had agreed to help Harry with his potions this morning after breakfast, since he was the best in the class now that Hermione was gone.

Harry was adding a Squill bulb to his practice batch of Felix Felicis (Snape had declared his last one useless). Malfoy peered over the top of Harry's cauldron.

"I mean, it looks fine." He said. "Just let it simmer for a couple of hours now, then I guess we can try it." He smirked, not nastily, just perhaps to warn Harry about giving him liquid luck i.e. all his wishes for that day.

Harry cast a quick protective charm on the cauldron to prevent anyone tampering with his potion as they left he dungeon.

"Do you want to go into town for lunch?" He suggested. "We could see what they're serving at the Three Broomsticks."

Draco blinked. "Um- sure, that sounds great!"

*Draco pov*
Not a date. Not a date. He's straight. He doesn't like you like that.

It was getting harder to calm my nerves as me and Harry made our way into town. It was very quiet without the usual bustle of students about and my hand involuntarily brushed against Harry's. Okay, it wasn't totally involuntary.

We got to the Three Broomsticks without me pulling him into an alleyway and kissing him to death, which I suppose was a good thing for my reputation. I decided while he was studying tonight I'd probably go to Blaise's house in Scotland by broom. Blaise knew I was gay, so I could tell him about Harry. Harry always liked to study alone anyway.

The inside of the Three broomsticks was less calm than the street outside, but still a merry and lively atmosphere as me and Harry sat down and ordered two Butterbeers. We also ordered the dish of the day, which was pumpkin pie in honour of the upcoming Halloween. Festive spiders and cobwebs adorned the walls, as well as carved pumpkins.

We chatted happily throughout the meal about the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher and her many dogs, one of which went everywhere with her in her handbag. I wasn't sure what breed of dog it was as I was more of a cat person myself. Hagrid was still the Care of Magical Creatures teacher, but I wasn't sure if he should have been allowed to continue in the position.

Don't get me wrong, I had nothing against Hagrid. Despite what I often claimed to my fellow Slytherins, I didn't actually have a problem with him, it was just... well, there was caring for magical creatures, and then there was befriending dangerous monsters, you know? Dragons and Blast-Ended Skrewts and even, I'd heard, a gigantic three-headed dog- it just didn't seem healthy!

After the meal we made our way back to the castle. I went with Harry back to the common room, where he sat down on one of the red sofas. I stubbornly took a green one opposite.

"So I guess since I'm free now I should probably finish the Transfiguration paper," he began uncomfortably. "But at the same time, I know you already did your homework so- "

"It's okay," I say. "I'll use my free time this afternoon to go visit Blaise by broom, he's staying in Scotland anyway. Haven't seen him in a while."

Harry nods. "Okay, that- yeah, that's great, I'm sorry for being weird about this, it's just, I like to work alone because you're- well, it's a bit distracting when you're standing there." He goes slightly pink.

I smirk. (Internally. It was definitely internal. Does he think I'm distracting? Does that mean what I think it means?)...I need to stop reading into everything he does. He's straight, I remind myself sternly.

I grab my broom from the cupboard in the corner. "See you this evening," I say as nonchalantly as I can. "I might stay for dinner at Blaise's, don't wait up for me." I may have let a hint of a smirk show. ...A lot of a smirk.

I should really get to Blaise's.

A/N
So what is going to happen at Blaise's?Also what does Harry think of Draco's almost-flirting? And what will happen if Draco gets everything he wants when he tries Harry's Felix Felicis?

Hope you are enjoying this story :)
-immortalsheep05