19 | αℓℓ oғ тнe sтαrs

So open your eyes and see

The way our horizons meet

Chapter 19 ~ All of the Stars

      Scar Patterson

The drive home was more than silent.

I had originally planned to take Jamie back to my house to give him a grand tour and perhaps, initiate a few make out sessions, but the school's principal had finally gotten in touch with my mother and after hearing the news, she had no desire to stay in the hospital any longer. As punishment for my less-than-chivalrous actions earlier that day, my mom and Jamie had to meet on unfriendly terms.

When she slid into the passenger seat, she almost didn't notice that Jamie was sitting right in the backseat. "Scar," she said in her motherly patronizing voice. I already knew I'd be in for a long talk for the duration of the drive. "It's nice to see you."

I drummed my fingers on the steering wheel anxiously. "How was your stay? What did the doctors tell you?"

She began to rummage through her purse, ignoring my question. I was beginning to think that she would continue to ignore me, but she finally spoke after rattling a small orange bottle filled with pills. "He prescribed some shit with a ridiculously long name. He says it's supposed to help with the hallucinations, or whatever."

I breathed out a sigh of relief. Maybe she would be too consumed with her current situation that she would forget about my suspension from school. "That sounds great, but maybe if you didn't drink at all, then you wouldn't have hallucinations."

She shot me a deadly glare with her cobalt eyes. "Don't be ridiculous, Scar." She huffed loudly to show her obvious disapproval and ripped open the vanity mirror. Tossing the pills back into her purse and replacing them with a tube of lipstick, she began to swipe the red color across her lips. Before closing the mirror, her eyes snapped open and she whipped her head around to face Jamie. "Who are you?"

I took a quick glance in the rear view mirror just in time to see Jamie suddenly perk up in his seat. "Oh, um, I'm Jamie."

My mother kept her trained eyes on him. "Okay, Jamie. Why are you in my son's car?"

I gripped the steering wheel tighter out of frustration. "Calm down, mom. He's my friend."

She sat back into her seat and stared at me. "Since when? Why haven't I ever heard of him? What about the black boy?"

My grip on the wheel grew tighter with my fingernails digging into the worn out leather. "Trey and I aren't on good terms, and Jamie has been helping me with the kissing booth."

She continued to stare at me with a dumbfounded look plastered on her face. "Kissing booth?"

I tried my best to suppress the growl that was bubbling in my throat. "Yes, kissing booth. The one at the carnival to help raise money for new football uniforms? The one I told you about."

Mom stayed in that statue-like state for quite a while before she finally gasped. "Oh, that! Of course! I remember it now, sweetie." Her red stained lips pulled into a soft smile as she focused her attention on the vanity mirror again.

I knew she didn't actually remember it, because she was drunk when I told her.

"Anyway, you probably won't be needing those uniforms. Your principal called. He said you tried to strangle a girl? I thought we established the whole 'no hitting girls' thing in elementary school. Scar, you know better. I should take away your car, but I think getting dismissed from the football team is enough punishment, don't you think?"