Prologue

The longing of the heart...

Kids smile and play to the side of the road, cutely chasing after each other as they maneuver their way around various obstacles, such as carts, trees and people.

Its a simple action, the act bringing a small smile to my face as I pass by them.

To them, it doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, everyone manages to play together, shifters and humans alike.

Still, I couldn't help the small tug in my heart every time I saw partners hanging around.

Things had changed after the discovery of certain people as shifters.

At first, no one really knew much about them, but as time passed and they became more prominent, each person was assigned to a shifter at birth, kind of like a soulmate of sorts I guess, except for me...

Life had decided that in my 23 years of existence, my shifter partner was nowhere to be found, and partners usually found each other by the age of fifteen, so to say I am late would be an understatement.

Not having a partner doesn't affect me as much now, not like before, but it does have its disadvantages.

Once you find your partner, it's like the stars align. You become inseparable and complete each other, finalizing the bonding process. But there's also a cool thing about your partner finding, once you find each other, you also get to go on fun quests.

The walls in my room are decorated with souvenirs from my friend's and family's different quests, but every time I look at it, I can't help thinking that something is missing, and the feeling of wanting to add my own only grows with each passing day.

Maybe something happened to him and that's why we never met...

With those thoughts lingering on the back of my mind, I place the last of the groceries I need in a brown paper bag, thanking the old lady with a respectful bow as I walk away.

On the horizon, the sun is already starting to set, painting the cloud filled sky with shades of orange and pink.

It's going to get dark soon...

Slightly shaking my head, I take a deep breath and start making my way home, keeping my gaze on the beautiful display on the sky but as I pass by the forest, something makes me stop in my tracks.

Come on in...

Hi! I found some time and managed to write the prologue for Heart of Gold!What do you lovelies think?Also, just as a quick note for future reference: the book will start in first person pov but it will eventually change to accommodate to the setti...

What do you lovelies think?
Also, just as a quick note for future reference: the book will start in first person pov but it will eventually change to accommodate to the settings and characters of the story.
That's all! Thank you for reading! ^^
If you enjoyed the prologue maybe leave a yellow heart here? 💛
Love,
~Van 💛
(2020.