11 - G L A S S

I rushed out of the mansion, slipping through the gates and avoiding the photographers that had slowly begun to disperse

An array of goosebumps erupted across my exposed arms and even as I hugged my body close, they didn't leave. My teeth chattered and I allowed the brown of my hair to fall forward, covering my eyes. Shame oozed from me like a sponge if not from my disordered appearance but at the fact that I'd run away. With no phone, money or company, besides the ghost of a dead boy, I was screwed.

"The train station is this way," Kingsley said as we crossed the road.

Though his face seemed calm under the yellowing street lights, his voice was alarmed and fast. "We'll get there quickly and get out of the dark and we can check the times and catch the first train back and then-"

"Kingsley," I called and stopped him from walking further by grabbing the back of his school blazer.

He gave me an exasperated look, willing me to carry on walking.

"I don't have any money for a ticket," I admitted.

His face fell.

It was difficult to think straight while standing in the middle of the pavement looking like such a mess while wearing such a pretty dress. It seemed like a beautiful tragedy as my hair whipped around in the harsh wind and the dried up blood-stained my face and hands.

His eyes scanned my face, wondering what the next move would be before shrugging and snapping his head back to look up at the starless sky. He brought his large hands to his face and dragged them along his skin, exhaling sharply causing the condensation to swirl in front of him.

"M-my mum's brother lives here. Maybe we could go ask him for money?" I suggested.

It took a few beats for Kingsley to regain consciousness. His tense shoulders fell, only slightly - almost unnoticeable. Then, when he lowered his face to meet my eyes, they were mocking me with a propped brow.

"The mum that left you? You think her brother will give you money?"

It was a low blow, one that stung more than I liked to admit.

I shrugged my shoulders a bit more forcefully than would have been deemed natural. "He might."

He didn't move, though. Kingsley just watched me with this funny look in his eyes. It was as if he didn't believe me, like he could see something I couldn't.

"Well, unless you have a better plan, love. He's the only option we have," I grumbled and crossed my arms over my chest. Now, I was the one acting like a child. I supposed Charlie and I had far more in common than I cared to acknowledge.

Kingsley lifted his arms in surrender. "Fine, lead the way."

And so I did. I stumbled through the streets like a cat trying to find its way back home. The air was dirty in the city and cars rushed past, music blaring and flying over potholes in the road. Eyes lingered on my torn dress and dishevelled appearance.