Frogs

sokka had come down with a terrible fever after the storm.

and he was in no shape to continue traveling so we set up camp in an abandoned shelter.

'this should bring your fever down.' said katara, putting a wet cloth on his forehead.

'you know what i love about appa the most? his sense of humor.' said sokka, smiling.

the fever had made him go a little loopy and most of the time he wasn't talking sense at all.

'that's nice. i'll tell him.' said katara, kindly.

appa grunted, causing sokka to laugh, 'haha! classic appa.'

aang walked over to us, solemnly, 'how's sokka doing?'

'not so good. being out in that storm really did a number on him.' said katara.

'why didn't you get ill y/n? you were in the storm too?' asked katara while sokka shivered in his sleeping bag.

'after 10000 years, you tend to get a pretty killer immune system.' i said, remembering feeling sick on the boat, 'sometimes...'

'i couldn't find any ginger root for the tea, but i found a map.' said aang, showing it to us, 'there's an herbalist institute on the top of that mountain. we could probably find a cure for Sokka there.'

'aang, he's in no condition to travel. sokka just needs more rest. i'm sure he'll be better by tomorrow.' katara said, looking at her brother and coughing.

'not you too!' cried aang, dispairing.

'relax, it was just a little cough. i'm fine -' she began, but cut herself off with more coughing

'that's how sokka started yesterday. now look at him - he thinks he's an earthbender!' i said, pointing at sokka who was mumbling something about rocks.

'a few more hours and you'll be talking nonsense too.' said aang, 'i'm going to find some medicine.'

'im coming with you,' i said, clicking my glider open, 'staying here is literally begging to be ill'

we opened our gliders but as the lightening hit somewhere in the distance we put them back, deciding to walk.

'race?' i said, readying myself to run as fast as i could.

'game on' he said, dropping his staff and sprinting out

'HEY!' i yelled, following him.

we ran as fast as the wind, speeding up the path to the herbalist institute.

we sped in, closing the door quickly behind us, panting.

'aw you cheat!' i said, my breathing staggered.

aang blew a raspberry at me and looked at the woman.

'hello! i'm sorry to barge in like this, but we need some medicine for my friends. they have fevers and they've been coughing and -'

the lady stopped him, 'settle down, young man. your friends are going to be fine. i've been up here for over forty years you know, used to be others, but they all left years ago. now it's just me and miyuki.'

'that's nice' i said, getting impatient.

'wounded earth kingdom troops still come by now and again, brave boys, and thanks to my remedies they always leave in better shape they when they arrive.'

'that's nice. are you almost done?' asked aang, rushing her.

but she continued at a leisurely pace.

'hold on, i just need to add one last ingredient. oh, sandalwood... oh, er, uh, that won't do, banana leaf? ah, nope, uh, ginger root, uh uh, oh where is that pesky little plant?'

i looked at aang desperately, the woman was going as slowly as possible and sokka and katara were getting sicker every minute.

'here's what i was looking for! plum blossom!' said the woman, picking a flower.

'finally!' said aang, taking the bowl from her hands, 'thanks for all your help.'

the woman hit aang on the hand, knocking loose his grip on the bowl. making both of us rub our hands in pain.

that lady was not messing around

'hands off! what do you think you're doing?'

aang looked at her, frightened, 'taking the cure to my friends!'

'ahaha! this isn't a cure, it's miyuki's dinner.' she said, giving the bowl to her cat, 'plum blossom is her favorite.'

'what about our friends?' i said, confused.

'well, all they need is some frozen wood frogs. there's plenty of them down in the valley swamp.'

' what are we supposed to do with frozen frogs?'

'why, suck on them of course!'

aang looked at her, shocked, 'suck on them!?'

'the frog's skin excretes a substance that'll cure your friends, but make sure you get plenty. once those little critters thaw out, they're useless!'

'you're insane aren't you?' said aang, dead-panned.

i punched his arm, feeling it myself.

'ow shit' i muttered - i hadn't tried to hit him that hard, just hard enough to get him to stop asking rude questions.

he laughed at me but i knew it had hurt him too.

'thaaat's right. well, don't stand there all day. go!' she said, angrily.

we rushed out the door and onto the lawn.

suddenly, arrows came out of nowhere, flying straight at us.

one just about missed my leg but another went straight through my trousers.

i looked up and a volley of arrows rained down on us.

and - in a last attempt - we used airbending to swat them away.

but another volley came and this time we weren't prepared.

most of them came down on me and aang stopped to help me.

'no!' i shouted, pushing him away, 'GO!'

he ran as fast as he could until he was out of my sight, falling down the cliff.

i pulled the arrows out of my sleeve but another volley came and pinned me to the ground with a net.

and, whoever it was, had caught me.