The Lonely Mountain

It's bright and early the next morning. The company are getting ready on the boat from the town to leave and heads towards the mountain. Artemis was already sitting down at the front of the boat with the empty seat reserved for Thorin as did a quick head count of the dwarves to noticed that Bofur was missing as she frowned.

"You do know we are one short. Where's Bofur?" Bilbo informed Thorin as he growled slightly.

"If he's not here we leave him behind" Thorin instructed firmly as Artemis sighed as she glanced up at Thorin who is now dressed in more royal attire.

"We'll have to. We have to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays" Balin agreed as everyone is dressed in better clothing than before and armour. The Master had been 'generous' in offering food, clothing and weapons to the company however Balin was always aware of Artemis in the shadow over the Master's shoulder ensuring he kept his side of the bargain. They start to get on board and Thorin stops Kili who is looking pale as he hadn't fully healed and Artemis was in no condition to try and finish what she started the previous night.

"Not you we must travel at speed you will only slow us down." Thorin informs him as he holds his shoulder as Artemis saw the hurt flash across Kili's face as he thought his uncle was going.

"I'm ok, I'm coming with you" Kili spoke.

"No" Thorin stated as Kili starts to realise he is serious as Fili looks up. Kili is rather upset as Artemis and Fili both share the same look.

"I'm going to be there when the doors are opened. When we first look upon the halls of our fathers..." Kili was almost begging to be able to continue.

"Kili....Stay here, rest, joined us when you're healed" Thorin sadly smiled as he held onto his nephew as a father would to a son. Kili was beyond hurt as Thorin turns away to get on as Oin gets off.

"I'll stay with the lad....After all I heal the wounded" Oin states as Fili steps forward. Oin has made Kili sit down and is looking again at his wound.

"Uncle! We grew up in with the tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him...." Fili cried out in a harsh whisper.

"Fili"

"I will carry him if I must." He protested.

"One day you will be King and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf....not even my own kin." Thorin told him as Artemis sighed sadly closing her eyes. She could see it was affecting him already. Fili glances over as Kili is apologising to Oin because he isn't going to be there when the door is opened. Fili gets up to leave as Thorin stops him.

"Fili! Don't be a fool! You belong with the company." Thorin spoke harshly, his fatherly tone left to bitterness.

"I belong with my brother!" Fili snapped back as Fili walks over and stands by his brother as trumpets begin to start. The trumpets announce the Master as he steps onto a platform in overdressed robes and the crowd cheers.

"Go now with our good will. And may your return bring fortune to all!" The Master announced as the crowd cheers as the company sets off on the barge down the lake. Kili watches the boat leaves sulkily at the same time Bofur pushes through the crowd but when he reaches the dock he sees the rest of the company has left and is too far down the lake for him to reach.

Artemis sat beside Thorin who had a gleam in his eye that she hadn't seen before. She let her eyes cast back to LakeTown as she knew it would be the last time she ever saw it. The crowd waved and cheered and soon vanished into the distance as she slowly began to look forward. Once reaching the mountain the company endured walking over several layers of the mountains. They walk across deserted plains and rocky landscapes. Soon they come to the view of the ruins of Dale. Thorin runs closer to the edge to get a better look of his home and Dale. The others soon join him.