Chapter 11

My eyes fluttered open to see the curly hair and big smile of Clint looking down at me. I was laying on the floor of the Glade, just next to the doors. I must've only been out a few seconds and fallen.

        "That's a pretty big cut you got there, shank." Clint grinned, and I rolled my eyes.

        "Just fix me up, slinthead." He laughed, and tried to get me to sit up.

The second my head was off of the ground, the edges of my vision began to grow dark, and I laid right back down.

Groaning, I brought my hand up to my aching forehead.

        "Yeah, that's not happening." I said sarcastically, as I blinked, clenching my eyes shut.

When I opened them again, Newt's face appeared in my vision next to the towering mass of Wall. His boots crunched the dirt next to my head as he crouched down. He shook his head, his mouth twisted into an indignant smirk and he rested his elbow on his bent knee.

        "You shuckface." He muttered. "We thought you died. You scared the lovin' daylights out of me."

I gave him a grin. "Sorry man." I winced as Clint untied the makeshift bandage, pressing a wet washcloth to it.

        "You lost a shuck ton of blood, Thalia." Clint said, working smoothly. "That's why you're so lightheaded."

Someone passed him a water bottle and he held it to my lips, encouraging me to drink. He held my head tilted up as the water flowed into my mouth. I hadn't noticed how parched my throat was until I drank the entire thing in five gulps. I could feel the ache in my head slowly fade and Clint re-bandaged the cut on my arm with fresh clean gauze.

        "I don't think I'm going to have to stitch it, but if it doesn't close by tomorrow then I will." Clint speculated, pressing down on the wound.

I turned my head and watched as Alby's limp form was picked up off of the floor by several Gladers. Jeff walked with them, an empty syringe in his hand. I let out a deep breath, happy he had received the Grief Serum.

Down by my feet, Gally grabbed Thomas by the arm.

        "Hey! What the hell are you doing?" Thomas spluttered as Gally began to tow him towards the forest.

        "You broke the rules, greenie. You'll have a trial in a few hours, but until then, you're going to be in the Slammer." Gally said, his voice firm.

After a few minutes, and after drinking a second bottle of water, Clint deemed me fit enough to walk around. Newt grasped my good arm and helped me stand. He kept close to me as we walked to the Homestead, in case I fell.

I went to my room, and sank down on the bed, signing. After the cold, sharp, and foreboding corners of the Maze, my soft, practically shapeless mattress was a good change. Newt seated himself beside me and looked directly at me.

        "Thalia, I need to say something to you." He said quietly.

        Uh-Oh. That doesn't sound good.

        "I am a Runner. I am allowed to go into the Maze -" I began, ready to defend my actions.

        Newt cut me off, "No, that's not what I mean."

I quirked an eyebrow, confused.

        "Ever since Thomas showed up, you've made rash decisions. Shuck, you ran into the freakin' Maze, Thalia! The doors almost closed on your shuckin' head! You almost died!" Newt ranted, his facial expression quickly growing more frustrated, and his hands waving around.

        "What are you getting at?" I snapped, annoyed.

        "You need to stay away from him. I am ordering you to stay away from him. I get you 'love' him," He said, "but you're being reckless. You're one of the few people in this Glade that people actually look up to. You can't risk your life because of a stupid boy."