✞ F I F T E E N ✞

CHAPTER FIFTEEN; A SIGHT

BETH LET OUT A SCREECH when her door flung open. She had been getting ready for work in the early hours of the morning hoping to get there early to occupy herself  but when John Shelby rushed into her home unexpectedly and fell to his knees, Beth knew she wouldn't be making it to work on time. John let out loud sobs into his hands, his back heaving with every breath.

"John? John? Get up. What happened?" Beth demanded, quickly walking towards John and leaning down to rub Johns back as he cried. John sat up wrapping his arms tightly around Beth's waist and crying into her stomach. "Why does nobody ever love me? Everyone's got someone!" John shouted. Beth sighed, running her fingers through Johns hair in hope to calm him down.

"I love you and so do your brothers eh? And what about Lizzie? You'll be off married soon enough and she'll give you the help you need around your home. Enough of that, John." Beth cooed. John let out a shattered sob burying his head further into her stomach. "Tommy offered money to Lizzie to see if she'd take it and she-she- was going to but he said no and now I just look like a fool!"

Beth's mouth fell open in shock as she glance down at the man crying at her feet. "On your feet." Beth demanded. John looked up at her rubbing his tears from his face. "W-What?" Beth stepped back and held her hand out for John. He clasped her hand in his and stood up to face his problems. "Your a Shelby John. John fucking Shelby has dealt with a lot worse that a whore he engaged trying to sleep with him brother."

"Your going to pull yourself together. For the sake of your children and family. I don't know what Tommy's at but he's always got a plan so just trust him. He thinks so we don't have to. Now, you can get into my bed and get an hours sleep. I'll be back in a bit." Beth instructed. She turned on her heel and took her cardigan off the coat hanger and slid it up her arms.

"Where are you going?" John pondered, stripping down from his suit to get into bed. He was so glad for Beth, he knew if it was anyone else they would deem him ridiculous for crying never mind over Lizzie Stark. Beth walked through the door frame beginning to march down the stairs. "To find Tommy fucking Shelby."

Beth was storming through the streets of Birmingham. She was upset for John, even if she came off as harsh. He just wanted a mother for his children. He wasn't marrying Lizzie for love but of course Tommy couldn't let anyone be happy for once. It was always business and always at someone else's expense. Just the same as Beth getting hurt by the inspector.

When Beth threw open the Garrison doors, (to go to work) she was surprised to see the pub empty with Tommy and Grace holding to glasses into the air to toast. "Grace get Bethany a glass." Tommy instructed smiling over towards the blonde who he hadn't realised was so angry. Beth ignored his smile causing Tommy to frown and she angrily threw off her cardigan not bothering to hang it up properly and walk around the counter to Grace.

Beth stood by Grace and picked her glass up cradling it in her hands as she watched the liquid swirl. "You make a toast?" Tommy asked Grace. "I'm Irish, I can make a million toasts. May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead." Beth's eyebrows raised at Graces statement wondering why she would toast to such a thing, but she didn't think to deep into it and threw the drink back.

"What are we celebrating?" Beth murmured, finally glancing up to Tommy who was in the middle of lighting a cigarette. "Contract of employment." He slid the contract over the bar to Grace who smiled widely. "Book keeper of Shelby Brothers Limited." Grace purred happily. "I don't like that word 'limited'." Tommy grumbled.