chapter seven

Rita Skeeter and The Wand Weighing

'some might call this a fustercluck.'
-Gossip Girl

⚯͛

13th November 1994

During the beginning of Raven's first Care of Magical Creatures lesson, the teacher, Hagrid as Malia had told the two Durmstrang students, introduced the fifth years to Bowtruckles which were very fascinating creatures. Weirdly, once the professor had asked the two Durmstrang students their names, the half-giant had excused himself into his hut-like house for a moment, before returning with a large handkerchief and a splotchy, red face.

Whilst learning about the threats of Bowtruckles, and how they will attempt to gauge the eyes out of anyone who seems to be wanting to harm their home with their long, sharp fingernails, a Seventh Year boy had approached the group of fifth years, "Professor, I've being asked to bring Raven Howendale upstairs; all the champions have to go." Hagrid - who had been avoiding th girl's eye ever since he had returned from his hut, looked at the girl with his eyes watering again.

"A', yer I 'pose," Hagrid muttered, looking back at the Bowtruckle in his hand, that was feasting on woodlice happily, "'member, teh do ye research on Bowtruckles 'abitats." Raven nodded, picking her bag up - and avoiding the menacing glares from a few particularly nasty Hufflepuffs, following the seventh year up to the castle.

Raven and the seventh year Ravenclaw walked in silence through the castle, occasionally the boy would send her a harsh glare, mumbling something incoherent under his breath. The boy stopped outside the door, before turning to walk away, this left Raven stood outside confused before slowly approaching the wooded door and knocking on it, before entering.

The classroom was fairly small; a large space cleared in the middle due to all the old desks being pushed to the edges. Ludo Bagman sat on one of five chairs, behind a few desks that had a velvet cloth covering them, he was talking to a witch Raven knew all too well. Raven found herself scurrying over to the corner where Viktor stood moodily, "Do you know what we're doing here?"

Viktor smiled as he saw her, "I think they want a photograph for the Daily Prophet."

Raven nodded, however, she had no chance to reply as Bagman spotted the girl, "Ah, here she is! Champion number four!" Bagman stood up excitedly, "Nothing to worry 'bout, anyone! Just the wand weighing ceremony!" He beamed happily.

Raven furrowed her eyebrows, as Viktor spoke up confused, "Wand weighing?"

"Well of course!" Bagman scoffed, playfully, "We have to check that your wands are fully functional, no problems, you know, as they're your most important tools in the tasks ahead," Bagman droned, "The expert's upstairs now with Dumbledore. And then there's going to be a little photo shoot. This is Rita Skeeter." Both Viktor and Raven groaned, remembering how the witch had ambushed the Bulgarian team on the day of the Quidditch World Cup.