Chapter 19

Karina

The first week in Greece were absolute paradise. Our coastal resort was the perfect getaway—enough privacy to not be bothered by other guests and close enough to town to walk. We spent our days relaxing by the beach and exploring the island, and the nights were filled with stargazing and campfires. Nothing from the "outside world" crept in, so we really could make the most of our time together.

The second, life crept in and finally got a hold of us. It started with the phone call from my dad. He clearly didn't factor in the time difference, because my phone went off around 3am.

I jerked awake and blinked against the neon light coming from my phone. Next to me in the bed, Lucas groaned and tightened his hold around my waist. For half a second, I considered ignoring my phone and snuggling against my mate. The continuing light and noise from my phone killed that thought.

I grabbed the phone and swiped the screen to answer the call without checking the caller I.D. "Hello?"

"How's my heiress?"

"Dad..." I groaned and dropped my head back onto the pillow. "Do you know what time it is?"

"Sorry, baby girl. I know it's early, but this couldn't wait."

That perked me to attention. I rose up on my elbows to talk. "What's up, Dad? Is everything okay with the pack?"

He sighed. "Not really. I'm sorry to bother you on your vacation, sweetheart. Several packs in the region have received attack threats. We think that someone is making a power play for a role on the Council."

"Okay..." I rubbed my forehead and nudged Lucas with my elbow. He grunted and snuggled against my side. I nudged him again, and this time he woke up a bit.

"Is the threat serious?" I returned to my conversation with my dad. "What do you need from us?"

Lucas sat up next to me, leaning back against the headboard. With my highly enhanced eyesight, I could see him zoning in on the phone. Rather than letting him eavesdrop, I turned the call to speaker.

"Dad, Lucas is awake and I have you on speaker."

"Sorry to wake you, son." My dad loved having a son, so he took full advantage of it.

"It's not a problem, alpha," Lucas yawned.

"You're a lycan, Lucas," my dad sighed. "No need to call me alpha."

Before the two key men in my life got into a title debate, I cut in. "Dad... you were telling me about some threats to the pack."

"Yes. The packs to the north, northeast, and southwest of us have reported threats against their leaders. The New Moon pack had an assassination attempt as well."

"You think they are all connected?" Lucas asked, motioning for me to sit up instead of continuing in my cobra yoga pose.

"We know they are," Dad answered. "The threats were delivered the same way, and all bore the same seal. The Council believes that someone is trying to crumble the authoritative chain from the bottom."

I rolled onto my back before sitting up. Lucas pulled me onto his lap while we listened. "What good would that do?"

"An unstable government means anyone could come in to take charge," Lucas mused. "If someone isn't happy with the way things are run, this could be their way of forcing changes."

"So what do you need from us, Dad? How can we help?" I leaned back against Lucas's chest and stifled a yawn. He wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder.