11: Noatak

"We were forced into hiding, I had no idea what had happened to mom, and I didn't want to think about it. We were hiding underground as Hiroshi announced to the world that Korra and I were hiding. Amon declared bending illegal, and anyone who had bending, their 'impurities' were taken."

Korra and Ally were announced to Republic City as on the run and hiding. But as the days passed, everyone got anxious about what was coming next. They had been stuck underground for days, only going out in chi blocker uniforms, in order to keep on the down-low. Ally wasn't sleeping, she was barely eating, it's like her energy was zapped from her. She was so anxious about her mother, it clouded her judgment. 

"Hey," Ally said. "They're here."

She pointed out at the horizon where United Forces ships were coming towards the city. But strangely, they met no resistance. There were no airships or Meca-Tanks, but as the ships got closer, bombs started going off. Ally and Korra looked at each other and dove into the sea to help the ships. When they broke the surface again, planes were coming in from the city, fast and nimble, likely one of Hiroshi's new inventions. The planes flew over the ships and dropped bombs that detonated on impact. 

Ally dove deeper into the water to see two missiles headed for the nearest ship. She got out of the way, just as they hit the ship and exploded. She created a vortex of water to get herself onto a ship, taking down planes as fast as she could. But they were fast, and the pilots were skilled. Waterbending wasn't her strong suit, but she tried to take them down with a water whip, something that she invented. It was water attached to her hand that she used as an extension of her arm, she could slash it through the air and take down planes. No matter how many they took down, more kept coming. One pilot shot a missile at General Iroh, the commander of the United Forces, he fell into the sea and didn't resurface. 

"Ally? How's it going?" Korra shouted. 

"The General!" Ally yelled. 

She pointed to where he vanished and Korra went to get him. She got Iroh away from the battle, and Ally followed soon after, blasting as many planes out of the sky as she could. Korra took Iroh back to their base and healed a burn on his arm, and when he was ready, he sent a message out to Commander Bumi to warn him of what was coming. Bumi, Tenzin's brother, was the second division of the United Forces. While they sent out a message, Iroh started planning. He located the airbase so they could ground the planes, and Korra went to face Amon. She decided it was time, and to do it on her terms. Mako and Ally went with, she would need all the help she could get. The next day at dawn, the group split into two teams, Korra, Mako, and Ally went to confront Amon, and Iroh, Bolin, and Asami went to destroy the planes, trying to get some advantage. 

"Good luck," Asami told her friends. She pulled Ally into a hug, startling her. But she hugged her back, not exactly understanding where the affection was coming from. Turns out, she was the only one Asami truly trusted. Mako broke up with her to date Korra, Korra for obvious reasons, and Bolin didn't really get female things. When they separated, Korra took them to Air Temple Island where they found Tarrlok and learned his secret. He was Amon's brother. 

"Amon is my brother, from the Northern Water Tribe," Tarrlok explained. "He's a waterbender, a bloodbender, and my father's favorite." Tarrlok went on to explain his brother's history and their shared past. 

"He was born under the name Noatak, as the oldest sibling. He wanted everyone to be treated equally, especially during training, when my father became harsh and cruel. He was never snappy at my brother, but I was the youngest, the sloppy one. When I was seven, our father told us who he really was, Yakone, a crime boss and a bloodbender. He taught us to bloodbend in order to claim republic city and destroy the Avatar. So every full moon, he taught us to bend, until we could bend without its power. I always hated taking advantage of helpless animal, but Noatak seemed to relish in his power. He mastered the psychic technique my father taught him, when he was barely 14. He changed once Yakon taught us to bloodbend, he had so many expectations, and he detached himself, and became cold. Yakon made us bloodbend eachother, Noatak loves doing it, but I couldn't. When Yakon told me to, I refused, and he went to hurt me. But my brother bloodbent him, and forced him away. Noatak ran away, and we never saw him again. After Noatak left, he stopped training me, believing I was too weak to help him get his revenge. He died a few years later, and my mother followed soon after." 

"I'm sorry," Ally whispered. She knelt down in front of Tarrlok's cage and put her hand through the bars. Tarrlok took it and squeezed it gently. "I'm so sorry."

"You're a strong young woman, Alice," Tarrlok said with a gentle smile. "Don't let Amon get you. And I'm sorry for all that I did to you and your friends. I hope that one day, you can forgive me."

"I do," Ally murmured. "That's the thing about me, Tarrlok, no matter how bad a person is, I can always see the good. And I will always forgive."

"Thank you, Alice," Tarrlok told her. 

"Ally," Ally chuckled. "No one calls me Alice anymore."

"How are we supposed to beat him?" Korra asked. 

"You can't," Mako replied. 

"There may be another way to take him down!" Korra exclaimed. "Amon has been ahead of us for so long, but now, we know something and we have the advantage. We're going to expose him at the rally, and we can take away his power!" 

"We can stop the revolution!" Mako replied. 

"Thank you," Ally said. She stood up and bowed her head.

"Defeat him," Tarrlok ordered. "You must."