44. Sugar

"You were my
                           sunshine

in a thunderstorm. 

When things were

                                    ugly,
you were something
                                         beautiful."

~ Zack Grey

Scarlett stared and frowned

She didn't respond.

She didn't engage.

She stood there, hoping that if she were still enough, he would move on like the predator that he was.

Her silent prayer was not answered.

He stood there, grinning at her like he was an old friend.

Oliver Jones.

A strangely, grotesquely familiar feeling of despair trickled down Scarlett's spine as the thoughts and memories of Oliver swarmed in her mind. Every word that he had said to her, every time that he had made her feel small and weak and brittle overcame her, but she stood her ground.

On a normal day, the word 'sugar' would have been enough to shut her down, let alone seeing the person who had inflicted all that pain on her by calling her that.

Not that day, however.

She wasn't scared little sugar anymore. She was Scarlett Ambrose: fearless, confident, free and wanted.

Oliver wore a dark jacket over an even darker t-shirt. He was about the same height as she was; in fact, she was probably taller in heels.

He had grown since she had last seen him when she was nineteen, but the close-knit eyebrows even when he put on his sinister smile had not changed at all.

Casually, Oliver leaned his arm against the wall near him. "So, how've you been, sugar?" he asked, nodding to her.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Scarlett hissed at him through gritted teeth, her eyes spitting fire at him.

Oliver went on smiling like she was his best friend and she hadn't just spat word viciously at him. "Now, is this how you talk to an old friend?"

Scarlett scoffed. "With friends like you, who needs enemies?"

Oliver leaned in. "Come on, sugar. Tell your friend how you've been."

Scarlett flinched hearing the name coming from his mouth. Something inside her got even angrier when she realized that she was getting affected. "You are not my friend," she told him, severely, "Now, get out of my sight."

Oliver cocked his head. "I've missed you, sugar," he told her in a sickly-sweet voice.

"That would make one of us."