Chapter 15

They had just started on the hike when Emily's cell phone began coughing out a cacophony of dings like it was on cocaine.

"Lots of angels are getting their wings today,' commented Campbell.

Lance laughed at the bad joke. "Reception out here is spotty. It's one of the reasons I like it. It's normally quiet. Emily must have hit a hot spot."

Emily stopped and pulled out her phone, grimacing at the screen. "It's my father." She looked up at the four men ahead of her down the path, landing on Lance. "Three messages. Might be important. You guys go ahead and I'll catch up."

Lance shrugged and started walking again.

Finn knew this was his chance to get Emily alone. "I'll keep her company," he announced to the group.

Max opened his mouth to say something, probably about to offer to stay as well. All day Max had been monopolizing Emily's time and attention. The normally shy and reserved man was a chatterbox around her. Finn could not get a word in edgewise. His heart started to sink.

Campbell came to Finn's rescue. Putting his arm around the other man, he pulled Max down the path murmuring something in his ear. Finn released balled hands  he was not aware he had been clenching. At last, he would have time with Emily. Just Emily.

Turning back to the woman in question, she had her phone pressed to her ear. Finn looked at the ground as he tried to settle the snakes swimming in his stomach. One of her white running shoes was tapping away impatiently on the hard-packed earth.

"Seriously," she whined, pressing something on the phone. Finn looked up. "He's concerned I didn't secure some theatre tickets for him." She rolled her eyes.

Finn suppressed a grin. Seems dear old dad had not changed much over the years. Any other day, Finn would have lamented Philip Montgomery's ego, but not today. Because of his selfishness, Finn was going to get time with Emily. Alone.

Emily raised the phone again and listened to the next message. Her expression melted into deeper annoyance. This time Finn could hear her father as he loudly demanded to know where she was, whining about needing her now.

Shaking her head, the sun bringing out the red in her hair, Emily deleted the message and started listening to the last one. A few more moments and she would be free. Finn practiced his first line. He had written his whole speech out and memorized it over the last few days.

Words were not his friend. Strictly speaking, talking was the problem. Finn knew what he wanted to say. If he had time, could compose his thoughts, particularly on paper, he could make a convincing argument. But in the moment, things got jumbled up in his mind. He had learned early on it was better not to say anything than open his mouth and make a fool of himself.

The military was a relief to him. It felt like he could go days without speaking. Lots of reports to write, but on the battlefield, action spoke louder than words. Most of the time. Somehow in the heat of the moment, when people's lives were on the line, he could get the job done.

Right now, Finn felt like it was his life that was on the line. He was anxious to talk to Emily. It was no time for words to fail him.

The woman in question was listening to her father's message. Finn watched as the colour drained out of Emily's face.

He took a step closer to her, concern spiking. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"It's my Aunt. She...She's been taken to the emergency room." Emily was madly tapping on the phone.

"Your Aunt E?"

Emily nodded as the phone rang. The family referred to her as Aunt E because Emily was named after her. Said aunt was actually a great aunt, on her mother's side. The sister of Emily's grandmother. Both Emily's grandmother and mother had died far too young and the elder aunt had stepped in to try to fill the role of lead female in the family. With three young daughters, Philip Montgomery had been grateful for the assistance. He also liked her money if Finn remembered correctly. Emily's mother was the source of the family wealth. Aunt E held the purse strings. At least she had the summer Finn was with Emily.