twenty five | dance parties

It was nighttime and the group was back in the cave, Sokka and Mari were looking over a map, Toph was resting on Appa and Katara was sitting near the fire picking at her nails. The only one missing was Aang who had disappeared that afternoon and was unheard of all day.

Mari looked up when she heard gusts of wind in the distance growing closer to the cave, Aang's face popped into view as he jumped into their hideout excitedly.

"Where have you been? We've been worried sick." Katara said getting up.

"I got invited to play with some kid's after school."

"After what?!"Mari and Sokka said simultaniously.

"I enrolled in a fire nation school, and I'm going back tommorow."

Mari's mouth dropped.

"Enrolled in what?!" Sokka exclaimed in the same tone as before.

The five sat down around the fire to have a talk after Aang continued to try and convince them that this was a good idea.

"Aang I'm trying to be mature and not shoot down your idea. But it sounds...really terrible." Sokka said,

"Yeah we got out outfits, what do you need to go to school for?" Toph asked.

"Every minute I'm in that classroom, I'm learning more about the Fire Nation. I even have a picture of Fire Lord Ozai." Aang said holding up a picture of a mean looking man. "And here's one that I made out of noodles!"

"Impressive, I admit. But I still think it's too dangerous." Sokka replied.

"I guess we'll never find out about the secret river then. It goes right to the Fire Lord's palace. We were supposed to learn about it in class tomorrow."

"Hmm..I am a fan of secret rivers. Fine, let's stay a few more days." Sokka agreed.

"Flam-eo Hotman!" Aang cheered.

"Flam-eo?" The group turned to Mari, figuring she knew the term.

"Don't look at me-" She shrugged.

---

"Sokka you need to wash those clothes, it's been days." Mari and Katara pleaded with him.

"But it's a perfect fit, what if one of you ends up shrinking it."

Mari face palmed and let out a breath. "Fine, stay in dirty clothes as long as you want becuase you're washing them yourself from now on."

Katara crossed her arms and nodded in agreement.

"Hey guys!" Aang said, walking into the cave.

"Aang? Aren't you supposed to be in school?" Katara questioned.

"Yeah! You're supposed to be learning about secret rivers, remember?" Sokka interjected.

"Yeah well, I got in a fight with some older kid and now the headmaster needs to see my parents to have a conference."

"You're kidding-" Mari gasped.

"Well what do I do?" Aang asked worriedly.

"I know exactly what to do." Said a weird voice.

The three turned around to see Sokka wearing a fake beard.

"Where did you even get that?" Katara asked her brother.

"I found it at some joke shop in the market." Sokka said proudly.

--

Katara and Sokka returned later that night with Aang after dressing as his parents to speak with the headmaster.

"That settles it. No more school for you young man!" Sokka yelled at Aang, still in character.

"I'm not ready to leave. I'm having fun for once. Just being a normal kid. You don't know what it's like Sokka. You get to be normal all the time."

"Ha ha" Toph teased earning a frown from Sokka.

"Listen guys, those kids at school are the future of the Fire Nation. If we wanna change this place for the better. We need to show them a little bit of freedom."

"What could you possible do for a country of depraved little fire monsters?" Sokka asked.

"I'm gonna throw them a secret dance party!"

"Go to your room!" Sokka poinetd, back in character.

"No maybe he's right, it'll be good for those kids and Aang." Mari agreed.

"Yeah, what harm could it do." Toph spoke up

"Dozens of fire bending children in one cave dancing at a party being thrown by the Fire Nation's biggest enemy, the Avatar. Seem's pretty harmless to me." Sokka said sarcastically.

"Lighten up, Sokka. Let's do it." Katara said to the group.

Toph and Mari went off bending columns out of the cave floor to create a stage for music to be played, while Katara and Sokka lit candles.

"I can't believe we're having a dance party. It seems so..silly." Sokka said.

"Don't think of it as a dance party, but as a cultural event celebrating the art of fancy footwork." Aang smiled.

"They're coming." Toph spoke up. "Everyone stop bending."

Mari hopped down from the rock stage and helped Aang hide Appa away.

Soon the cave was filled with tradition Fire Nation music, being played om instruments some kids in band class had brought with them, although the rest clumped together, not knowing what to do.

"Now what do we do?" Said a kid from the back.

"This is when you start dancing" Aang replied.

"I don't think my parents want me dancing in a cave..." Said another, nervously.

"Yeah, what if someone finds out?"

"Oh boy, listen guys. Dancing isn't something you think about. It's a form of self expression, that no one can take away from you."

"Maybe it was different in the colonies, Kuzon, but we don't do that here"

"Sure you do! You have for generations. I just so happen to know several classic fire nation dances." Aang smiled. "A hundred years ago, this was known as the phoenix flight." He demonstrated a move where he pranced around low to the ground with his hands behind his back.

"And this was Camelephant Strut." He said doing another move.

"Who knew twinkle toes could dance?" Toph laughed at a table where her, Mari and Katara sat.