Sweet Nightmares

"Don't tell Sarah about this."

"About what?"

"This," he pointed his finger back and forth between us, "She freaks when I hang out with her friends, and then she doesn't keep them around long," he ran his hand through his hair, "And I think I want her to keep you around."

A few people wandered into the room and started whispering and laughing, "I should probably go find Sarah.... I think I'm ready to go home."

"I can give you a ride back to the house."

He put his hand on my back and guided me to the door. Outside, everyone was still dancing and doing shots by the pool. A few groups had stripped down and jumped into the pool. Others sat around the edge with their legs dangling in the water.

Just a few steps out onto the patio and we both scanned the crowds for Sarah.

"Well.. well.. well."

Liam turns around before I do, "Who the hell are you?"

I met eyes with Jett Michaels, and he shot Liam a dirty look, "The guy who is going to nail your sister tonight."

Shit.

Liams hands clinch into fists and I can see his nostrils moving violently, "What the hell did you just say?" Liam had raised his voice loud enough that we were drawing attention. Just as I was about to pull him away, Sarah appeared between them.

"God, Liam. Stop acting like my dad," Sarah grabbed Jett's hand, "Come on, we are leaving."

Jett bucked at Liam before walking with Sarah to the driveway full of cars.

"What the hell? Is she seriously going to just leave me here?" I throw my hands up completely pissed.

Liam put his arm around me, "Go to the Jeep, I will be there in just a second. I will take you to the house."

"You are going to let me go by myself after everything tonight?"

He bent down to my ear, "You are a big girl, and I have something to take care of."

With that- he walked away, leaving me alone in a crowd of drunk high school kids. Quickly and quietly, I walked down the driveway weaving cars until I spotted Liam's Jeep, but as I reached the door handle...it's locked. I have two options: go find Liam and ask for the keys, or sit and wait to be harassed. Find keys it is.

Walking right back into the party was not my first option, but it seemed much better than waiting alone for who knows how long. The crowd was starting to simmer down, and the music wasn't near as loud. A few guys were still playing beer pong on the patio, I figured that might be a good place to check for Liam.

"Have any of you seen Liam?"

Two of the guys turn to face me, "Who are you?"
One of them crossed his arms over his chest while the other smokes his cigarette.

"I'm a friend. Have you seen him?"

They all laugh at my response and continue on with their game like I don't exist. My next option was in the house. I open the double doors on the side porch and walk into the hall. As soon as I close the door to the madness outside, I hear voices.

"I'm warning you."

"I hear you, dude, but I swear you are overreacting."

I attempted to scoot closer to the kitchen, and knock a frame over on the entrance table. Shit. Two sets of footsteps started heading my direction. I fix the frame super fast and try to stand nonchalantly against the wall.

"What the hell are you doing in here. I told you to go to the car."

Liam faced me, but the body whom the second voice belonged to was still hidden.

"I uh came to...," I straighten the frame realizing it was still crooked, "Keys. The door was locked so I came to ask for the keys."

Rolling his eyes, he reaches into his pocket and hands me the key, "Go straight to the car. I will be there in just a minute."

"She's not a kid."

Finally, the second voice appears and it is none other than Heath Dawson.

What the hell was going on in here?

"Is everything okay?" I look back and forth between the two of them. Both stay silent for a few seconds.

"It's fine. Go to the car." Liam was speaking between grinding teeth.

Picking up on the hint I wave goodbye to Heath and thank God I am not in his shoes. The crowd had severely died down and only a handful of people remained outside.

I sat in the Jeep long enough to listen to seven songs on my jams playlist before Liam showed up.

"My house or yours?"

"Excuse me?" I almost choked at his question.

"Are you staying at my house with Sarah? Or do I need to drop you off at your house?," he looked at me like I was stupid, until it clicked and he realized what I thought he meant. He laughed, "You aren't that lucky, Amelia. So your place or mine?"

It was already after one in the morning, there was no way I could go home. My parents would kill me, but my phone was empty and I had no calls or messages from Sarah. I guess it took me too long to answer because Liam chose for me.

"My house it is."

I'm not sure what kind of music he likes, but we both seemed to hum the songs that were flipping through in my playlist. We pulled into the White household to see a black BMW parked beside the garage with their lights off. Liam looked at me, "Do you know who that is?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I had a good guess.

"Pretty sure it's Jett Michaels car."

Liam slammed the Jeep into park and jumped out of his side, sprinting to Jett's car. I couldn't see what was happening but I could hear him yelling and Sarah screaming. A few minutes passed and Sarah sat beside me on the front porch steps.

"I suck."

I expected more of an apology, but who am I kidding.. it's Sarah.

"Yeah, you do."

"No. Like I really suck. I ditched you, and it forced you to have to spend time with my brother," she grabbed my hand and balled it into a fist, "Go ahead, punch me."

I pulled my hand away from her, "I'm not going to punch you."

We watched as Jett sped out of the driveway spinning tires. Liams Jeep headlights lit up as he locked the doors with his key. He stood directly in front of us with his arms crossed.

"Go inside," he pointed towards the door. We both stood up and began to make our way to the door. Liam grabbed Sarah's arm, "I will deal with you in the morning."

Sarah jerked her arm away and stormed into the house leaving me on the porch.

"She is drunk, shouldn't take her long to get to sleep."

I laughed, "Well that makes one of us. Pretty sure I won't be getting much sleep at all tonight."

He sympathetically side smiled, "About what happened tonight-"

"I'm not going to tell her."

He nodded his head, "Its for the best," the air fell silent again, "Well, sweet dreams, Amelia."

If looks could kill, he would be dead, "Don't.."

He laughed, "My bad. Sweet Nightmares, Amelia."