chapter thirty one

The next morning went reasonably okay, Draco and I got a few stares as we entered the Potions classroom slightly late which made me wonder whether or not the word had spread about Draco's father and Sirius. The only two spare seats were at the front of the classroom and I could feel Harry's eyes burning into the back of my skull. Draco could sense how nervous I was feeling and didn't remove his hand from mine at all, squeezing it reassuringly every once and a while.

"I would like your completed assignments on my desk by the end of class." Snape announced in his usual depressing tone, pacing in front of the class slowly. "No excuses."

Draco and I had quite clearly been unable to complete the assignment as we had no clue what it even was having missed class the past few days.

"Sir, we- "Draco began but was soon interrupted.

"You are an exception, Mr. Malfoy, given the circumstances however I wish to see you after class." Snape cut Draco off, causing a few whispers to erupt from behind us.

The rest of the lesson went by as usual with nothing eventful happening in particular. I was quick to stand up and make my way out of the class when the lesson ended however had to wait outside of the classroom as Draco was staying behind to talk to Snape, and I didn't like the idea of going to next period without him.

I stared coldly at my feet, trying to avoid contact with everyone but particularly Harry, who was the last person I wanted to see or talk to.

"Amelia." Harry announced, coming up beside me however I gave him one harsh look and backed away. Ron and Hermione were both close behind him.

"Leave me alone." I spat, crossing my arms.

"Just let me explain, Amelia!" Harry mumbled arrogantly.

"Explain what? That you kept my father from me for years?" I shot at him, crossing my arms as my heartbeat quickened with rage.

"No- you're over exaggerating. If you'd just let me talk- "He continued, Ron failing to look at me with guilt ridden across his face.

"You knew, didn't you, Ron?" I grumbled, my voice cracking slightly. "How could you?"

Ron failed to reply, looking down at the floor. A small crowd was beginning to form as we were clearly making a scene. Usually when I was angry, I'd become upset, but this time I was filled with pure rage and nothing more.

"Got nothing to say?" I remarked however slightly less harsh, becoming upset over the broken trust between Ron and I "You're supposed to be my family, Ron."

"We were only trying to keep you safe." Harry replied for him, not in a comforting tone but more of a harsh scolding one.

"Bullshit!" I snapped. "Safe from my own father? You were trying to keep him all to yourself – my father. You're selfish." I near screamed, walking up to him aggressively pointing my finger towards him. "As if you didn't have enough, Harry. I've had to live my whole life being overshadowed by my brother because he's 'the chosen one' and it's almost like you go out of your way to make me feel as alone as possible."

"Amelia, don't be so overdramatic." Harry groaned, rolling his eyes.

"Overdramatic?! So, you didn't keep my own father from me so you could have him to yourself? You even had my boyfriend keeping secrets from me, Harry." I muttered, glancing over at Cormac who was part of the crowd surrounding us as he had a guilty expression on his face too. At the same time, I noticed Tracey and Blaise stood with one another, Tracey was clearly confused confirming she was unaware of all that had happened over the past week.

"You're twisting everything." Harry bit back.

"Am I? Great. Then leave me alone, you're nothing to me." I was so filled with rage I was seeing red and it was taking every bone in my body not to dive myself forward at him.

"We're family, Amelia." Harry mumbled, trying to reason with me.

"You are no family of mine." I uttered, turning my nose up at him. We stood silently for a moment before I noticed Draco had been watching, I assumed he understood that this needed to be done and therefore didn't interfere. Harry reached into his bag and brought out a box. I furrowed my eyebrows as he extended his arm out to offer it to me. I snatched it out of his hands, not wanting to look at it Infront of everyone before turning and making my way over to Draco. I engulfed myself in his arms once I reached him.

"You'll regret trusting Malfoy." Harry called once again, causing me to roll my eyes as he was still attempting to win this argument. I was infuriated. "He's only using you to get to me."

"Will it ever get through your thick skull that not everything has to be about you, Potter." I snarled, completely losing my patience before grabbing Draco's hand and storming off. On my way out I noticed even Snape had been watching from the door of his classroom.

Draco was still silent as we made our way to an empty corridor and we sat on a window ledge side my side. I sat the small wooden box on my lap before opening it up. Inside were lots of pieces of paper, I furrowed my eyebrows before picking the top one up.

'My dearest Amelia...' I read the first like before quickly folding the paper back up, a lump growing in my throat as I began to feel sick to my stomach.

"They're letters... they're letters from Sirius." I managed to choke out before closing the box back up.

"There's hundreds of them." Draco pointed out before wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I could tell that something was up with him and that I needed to ask him about what Snape said, but there was too much going on in my mind. I wasn't emotionally prepared to read any of these letters, it had barely sunk in that Sirius was my father. I hardly knew anything about him.