chapter thirty-three

After heading for the fort and seeing that it was overrun by Telmarines, then heading back towards the river and finally crossing it, Rowyn found herself laying down observing the stars as everyone else slept peacefully.

A conversation between Susan and Lucy possibly ten minutes ago still ran in her mind.

"While it lasts." Susan had told her younger sister before falling asleep.

Rowyn hated to think about the fact that she would have to go home again at some point. That she would be torn away from Peter again. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, squeezed them tightly. When the thoughts still shot through her mind like arrows, she carefully stood up and took a walk to clear her head.

The cold night air caressed her skin as she created a fire dagger to light her way. She walked around for a good ten minutes before a stick snapped behind her and made her whip around in fear.

"Peter, what the hell!" She took a deep breath when she saw her husband standing there with his hands raised after she pressed the dagger to his throat. "I could've killed you."

Peter smiled slightly. "Uh, you still might so uh?" He motioned down to the dagger still pressing against his neck. Rowyn apologized and the blade vanished. "Are you alright, Wynne?" He caressed her cheek softly when her saddened expression overtook her face again.

"I'm fine." Peter gave her a look and silently told her he didn't believe her. Rowyn huffed slightly and took a seat leaning against a tree trunk. "We're going to have to go back again, you realize that right?"

Peter nodded and grabbed her hand which rested in her lap. "I know, but we'll make it work."

Rowyn leaned her head against the mossy trunk and closed her eyes. "But what if we never come back after that?" She turned her head towards him and opened her eyes. "W-What would we do?" Her eyes became lined with silver after she spoke.

Peter's face fell and he pulled her hand to his chest. "I know what I'd do . . . I would work on securing a career in medicine, spend my life with my family and focusing on achieving a successful life . . . and then when my time comes, I'll wait for you to join me in whatever awaits us afterwards."

Rowyn leaned her head off the tree and a tear escaped her eye. "That's over a hundred years that you would have to wait, Peter."

He nodded and pressed a kiss to her burnt palm. "I would wait an infinite amount of years if it meant that I could spend the rest of forever with you . . . I told you before, there's never gonna be anyone for me but you."

Rowyn opened her mouth to speak but no words formed as she blinked away her tears. Instead, she cupped his cheeks and pulled his mouth to hers. The pair instantly melted into each other and soon enough, Rowyn was sat on his lap while his hands squeezed her waist.

"I'll wait for you too." She told him when they eventually pulled their slightly swollen lips away. "I don't care how long . . . I'll wait until I'm with you again . . . To whatever end, right?"

Peter smiled as his nose brushed hers. "To whatever end." And then his lips met hers again.

Then soon enough Rowyn was pinned to the ground beneath them as Peter took her for the first time since their parting.

....

"Rowyn get up!" Susan shook Rowyn awake from her deep sleep. After their few hours alone, laying under the stars holding each other's bare bodies, they clothed and traveled back to the camp where Rowyn fell asleep as Peter held her tightly. Rowyn rubbed the sleep from her eyes and, due to Susan's panicked tone and the fact that Peter and Lucy were gone, she threw on her sword and followed Edmund and Susan as they searched for their siblings.