⇢ CHAPTER 18

season 5 episode 18

After all the residents informed their interns on the face transplant patient today, the doctors in the room all paid attention as Dr

After all the residents informed their interns on the face transplant patient today, the doctors in the room all paid attention as Dr. Sloan and Dr. Hunt told them how everything would go down.

"Dr. Hunt and his team will be recovering the donor facial graft. We're replacing seventy percent of Mr. Young's face." He clicked the mouse for the computer, "You can see the deficit here."

"Or here." The patient gestured to his face and the doctors chuckled.

"The donor recovery will include his nose, left eye, lips, left zygoma." Dr. Hunt added, "Why will allotransplantation work better than traditional techniques?"

Holly raised her hand, along with a few more interns, and Mark pointed at her, "Re--" He cleared his throat, "Kepner."

"Better aesthetic outcome which allows for rein nervation of the facial nerves, giving a better functional result."

Mark nodded as Dr. Hunt commented, "Very good, Dr. Kepner."

"Then we'll position the flap over Mr. Young's face." Mark went on, "How do we know when we're in the clear?"

Lexie raised her hand and Mark nodded so she spoke, "When the graft turns pink."

Mark smiled, "Excellent." The interns, excluding Holly and Lexie, gave each other a knowing look as Mark continued, "Dave, any questions for us?"

"H-Has anyone seen the donor?" The patient, Dave, asked.

"Yes." Mark responded, "He's a match with your age, skin tone and blood type."

"What does he look like?"

"I think you'll be satisfied."

"Who am I kidding?" Dave chuckled, "It's a face, right? If I end up anything above a point-and-stare freak, I'm gonna call it a success."

"Karev," Dr. Hunt spoke once everyone left Dave's room, "you're with me on the donor. Usually we take them at the same time, but the donor's life support is fading fast. We gotta move."

"Oh," Alex smirked at Meredith and George as he passed them, "thank you, sir."

"Uh," Mark looked up at the residents and interns, "Stevens, Grey."

Meredith smiled as she whispered, "Yes!"

"No," Mark corrected, "the other Grey."

"Really?" Lexie smiled, and Holly nodded at her, "Uh, great."

Meredith looked at George as she spoke in sarcasm, "Great."

"You did an awesome job in there." Mark noted, "Why don't you call me after the pre-op labs come in?"