Chapter 4

Song: Read My Mind

Artist: The Killers

Chapter 4

Frederic didn't see Octavia for the rest of the day. He walked to his car after Robotics club and drove to the other side of the school where Wahid had baseball practice. Frederic often gave him a ride home, even though he lived five minutes away from the school. He figured it would exhaust the player from practice. He played with Octavia's wristband while he waited. 

The item was unusually rough. By the number of bents and wrinkles, it must be a few years old. He couldn't imagine ever having something from a sibling. As an only child, he couldn't imagine having a sibling at all. Wahid had two sisters, and as much as he loved them, he never carried around something that belonged to them.

'Thanks for waiting.' The sound of Wahid's voice snapped Frederic back into reality. He dropped the wristband into the cupholder while Wahid shut the door. 'Coach made us run an extra lap.'

'No problem.' Frederic started the car and drove off. He glanced at the wristband again. 'Err... I think Octavia forgot her wristband.'

'Shit, she didn't even notice in History.' He picked up the wristband and tossed it between his hands. They drove out of the school, and he turned to his best friend. 'She's not bad... seems chill.'

'Yeah, she's quite a handful. Now I'm the skinniest and lamest one out of the three of us! She's like... buff.'

'Frederic Stark, I warn you... don't say that to her face.'

'Yeah, she'll probably shove me as she did with Tyson.'

'Wait, that was her?' Wahid's jaw dropped. He stared at the open wristband. 'Nikolai, your sister is tough shit. The guys were talking about it in the change rooms.'

'Wh—what did they say?'

'Tyson rammed you into her locker and she stopped him before he got any more physical.'

Frederic parked in front of the bungalow styled home. Wahid's mother's car was in the driveway, which made Frederic sigh. He hoped she didn't see him. Wahid stepped out of the car the same time the front door opened. Mrs Nazari clamped down the porch stairs. Frederic waved quickly, but it was too late. She already waved both of them inside.

'Told you,' Wahid laughed while Frederic got out and shut the door. 'You can't escape Mama, no matter how many times a week you try.'

Frederic awkwardly stood on the side, as he did every Monday, Wednesday and Friday when he drove Wahid home. Mrs Nazari reached up to kiss her son on the cheek. Wahid must be a head taller than his mother, but Frederic was the tallest out of the three of them. She still wore a striped pantsuit, which meant she'd come home not too long. Her hijab was red today, and she tossed it over her shoulder when she nodded at Frederic.

'Hi, Mrs Nazari.'

Wahid's mother ushered both of them inside, and all three of them removed their shoes at the door before they entered the house. Frederic knew the drill by now. At least his Vans sat on a nice shoe rack. The further he stepped into the house, the stronger the aromas of good food became. Wahid disappeared to shower, which left Frederic in the kitchen with Mrs Nazari.

'I forget what you people call this,' Mrs Nazari said and put on a pair of oven mitts. She crouched down in front of the oven and took out an entire dish. She placed it on the cooling rack and Frederic took in the beautiful sight that made his stomach grumble.