chapter one

Emily

Ding ding. 

I heard the familiar tinkle of the bell and my eyes shot up. The last person in the café had finally decided they should get going. I scanned the shop quickly, making sure there was no one left. I rushed to the door, trying to make it the least bit obvious to the guy that just left that I wanted to desperately get home. Don't get me wrong, working in the café was great. The only problem was my boss. She only ever put me on the check out or waiting tables. Even if she was in a good mood I would be extremely lucky to at least get put on making a simple toastie.

I love cooking and I'm constantly doing it. I become a bubbly ball of excitement whenever there are ingredients in front of me. And then when I start, no one's able to get a word out of me. If someone tries talking to me, I won't answer. Not because I'm rude, but because it's like I'm in my own little world. I feel free and all my stress and worries leave me when I start. That's why I'm always cooking.

I flipped the open/closed sign so that it would read 'closed' to the passers by. Then rushing back to behind the counter, I took off my apron and placed it in the neat pile underneath. I had no idea why I had to wear an apron when I wasn't even allowed to cook. My boss mentioned something about 'looking organized and professional' but I zoned out of her boring speech when she was telling me.

I grabbed my coat from the hook in the back room, then practically ran out of the café. But the cold Mullingar air wasn't the only thing I was met with. I barreled into someone on my way out and their hot coffee spilt all down my front. I winced in pain as I pulled the now ruined white t-shirt as far away as I could from my burning chest.

"I'm so sorry. That was entirely my fault" I apologized. I looked up from the coffee stained shirt and my eyes met a familiar looking guy. He was around my age but I don't know where I'd met him. Something about him was jogged in my memory. He was wearing a hoodie over his head, only just hiding his mop of brown curls. He was wearing sunglasses, god knows why in this weather, but I could still sense the anger radiating from him.

"You're right, it was! Now move out of my way and watch where you're going next time!" He yelled, his British accent taking over him. He shoved pass me, making sure to bump his shoulder on mine as he passed. I wheeled around to face the guy as he walked off.

"Seriously! What the hell is wrong with you!" I shouted after him. He didn't reply and instead continued to strut away. I huffed before turning around and waltzing off in the opposite direction. The streets were scatted with people, most leaving from work and in a rush to get home to the warmth.

I began feeling calmer by the second as I looked around and took in the beautiful sight around me. There were Christmas decorations that hung from wires above the passing cars. There were small Christmas trees in the windows of some shops and tinsel in others. It was December 1st and the Christmas holiday had officially started.

Christmas was my favourite holiday of the year. Continuing the traditions that have been running for years in a row always filled me with so much joy and excitement. Like putting up the Christmas tree with my room mates on the 1st day of December. Finally getting the excuse to cook up a variety of Christmas desserts over the month. Spending the time with the people you love most. Even doing stressful last minute shopping for presents on the filled and hectic streets.

The sound of my phone ringing pulled me from my gaze and thoughts. I pulled out my phone from my coat pocket and slid my thumb across the screen, not even bothering to check who it was.

"Hello" I answered as I pulled my coat tighter around myself. The heat from my shirt had cooled down and my once burning body was now getting colder and colder.