Chapter 9: Family affairs

"Karie? Why aren't you in school?..DaKarie!" His moms called from the couch. He took the stairs 2 at a time to his room, ignoring the click of heels on the other side of his then slammed door.

He couldn't get earlier with Max out of his mind, all the shit that happened. Bastard accused him, blamed him. Shit, he almost put hands on him.

Yet watching him, curled up on the ground. Like a lil bitch. Man...shit broke his heart to be honest.

And he still left.

He kept telling himself it was the right thing. Who could blame him. After everything that happened, it wasn't his job to look out for him. What happened to Max had nothing the fuck to do with him.

So why did he feel like such a piece of shit?

"DaKarie Jones, I know I didn't lose my voice. You need to open this door and talk to me."

Shawna waited, arms folded on her chest as she continued to call. Her resolve lessened when she heard sniffles on the other side of the door.

"Karie. Baby, open up." He didn't move from his bed, feet tapping anxiously.

"He took my lock for fucks sake. You're gonna come in and bother me just do it already."

Shawna waltzed in a second later, smiling tight. He only glared, not bothering to look her way. It was clear he was getting on her nerves. He'd been trying to for months. He knew she was treading lightly so..ay, why not take advantage?

"Why aren't you in school?"

"Why aren't you at work?" Oh right, you ain't got a job. Fucking freeloader druggie.

Shawnas jaw dropped at the statement, not having expected the back talk. Honestly, that shit was on her.

"Alright I..look, I've been trying with you. I get that your angry but one of these days you've gotta drop the the whole angst-

"Angst? That's what you think this is? Your a sorry excuse of a fucking mother, that's what this is!"

"ENOUGH." Karie stared, standing over her. She glared furiously, having lost any patience or sympathy.

"Sit your ass down." She stated. Karie glared. "Now!"

"No."

"You think just cause you're a big, strong man now your mama can't whoop your ass? That it?" He stood there for a moment, hesitating.

She glanced around in exaggeration, eyeing his shoe rack. She picked up one of his slides, shrugging.

..what the fuck.

"Sit. Before I make you sit."

DaKarie scoffed, pretending as though he wasn't shitting himself. In all honesty though, all honesty. Like for real-

...he was shitting himself.

He sat down slowly, shoulders tense. Shawna waved the sandals in his face pointedly.

"Now let's make one thing clear, alright? I am your mother. I'm a fuck up..but I'm your mother and I'm here now and I am not leaving, you understand?"

DaKarie stayed quiet, feet tapping.

"Answer me Karie."

"...yeah. Sure."

Shawna dropped the slipper, eying him for a moment. She reached out slowly, brushing at the tears dried on his cheeks. He thought of pulling away but didn't.

"I know it don't mean much to you, baby. Please..I can't prove shit to you if you don't give me a chance."

DaKarie shook his head, grimacing at the wave of fresh tears. He could only grumble in response. She gripped his head, manicured hands soothing him.