Chapter 49: Infection and Antidote

The five men who arrived were Duke Li's fiercest warriors. Every generation of Huang family head would have five comrades of life and death. The citizens of Huo Ai would collectively call them Pillars of the South. Similar groups existed among the other founding clans as well.

As for the Huang family, their symbol was the vermillion bird etched on the armors of the five people.

The graceful Yemin stood at the forefront and bowed reverently to Huang Qiaoli who was nestled in her brother's arms.

"Our Huang family's princess, your servant is Yemin."

Behind him, four people also saluted.

"Your servant is Lu."

"Your servant is Ying."

"Your servant is Gongji."

""Your servant is Feicui."

Qiaoli had regained a sense of calm as she studied them one by one. In her mind, she was weighing their strength against the only person she could visualize as her standard.

But none of them seemed to come near the silver-haired and pale-eyed Qin Yu. That person even made her sensors go crazy so she had an inkling that person wasn't a human. And she seemed to have guessed right.

As she was thinking of this, Yemin received a look from his master so he turned to address the Yi Xiao Emperor who by now, had a dark face. Nothing went according to his plans after all.

"Emperor, our Duke is a person of his word. Once the congregation concludes, our Lord Duke will clear the pests on the border. After that, this deal shall be considered done."

After getting what he wanted, Huang Li Yun didn't spare another glance at the Emperor. In his mind, the young emperor of Great Han was already considered lucky that he didn't attack openly.

As usual, Yemin was the one who would clean after his master's terrible attitude. The Duke was praised to have a celestial smile and appearance but deep inside, his people knew that he was just a battle-crazed soldier.

Yemin even wanted to congratulate him for hitting the shadow guards with the hilt of his sword instead of the real blade. The goddess knew how many times he reminded his master in the morning not to draw blood inside the royal palace of Great Han no matter how the Emperor offended him. He almost fainted when he learned that Yi Xiao Emperor dared to use their Huang miss as a bargaining chip! It was good that his master was able to curb his killing intent.

On the other hand, Huang Li Yun had no reason to stay in this palace. He gave a handkerchief to his sister so she could wipe her face.

Qiaoli didn't care for anything other than her brother so when he nudged her to walk out of the palace, she didn't hesitate. The things she discussed with the Emperor the day before were somewhere at the back of her mind. She knew Long Yi Ran wouldn't act rashly now that he saw he didn't have an advantage over the duke.

Somewhere behind them, she could still hear Yemin conversing with the Emperor. It looked like that guy was used to talking on behalf of his master.

"Is Yi Xiao Emperor opposed to this setup?"

Such audacity to talk with a sovereign like that! Long Yi Ran's handsome face was crumpled beyond belief and his hands were clenched into fists under his robes.

He felt like Lady Huang tricked him! No wonder the woman was so complacent when they were talking yesterday. It turned out she was already expecting this result.

Beside him, Nuo Ying Su knew how agitated her husband was. But nothing good would happen if they provoked the other side. They still needed their help after all.