6 ♛ Aboard Hudithe II

The Alcotta Isles is a group of two smaller islands and a bigger one. A long time ago, during the peak of maritime trade, the king granted nobility to a businessman who was well known as a sea merchant. Being the trade gateway to the Levich Empire and the rest of the continents, the territory prospered.

But that was the ancestors' bright history. Ever since Levich closed its borders and the king raised taxes, the Alcotta Isles had passed their glory days. Trade was far in between, and the people relied on fishing. The barons that led the territory dwindled to either corruption, gullibility, or gambling addiction. Michael, Diana's stepbrother, had them all, and thus, the tragic fate of the hungry people was sealed.

However, Michael would return to the territory in ashes, and the new lord, a young woman, achieved something the previous lords could never—being betrothed to a prince, and much more, bringing him along.

It was four days after the ball incident, and Diana has been questioned for the investigation that was still in limbo. Yet, she only told him a clue that she omitted from the palace. She heard one of the cloaked man curse, 'Krytash!'— short for 'Ku Erythrós tare'sh!' or 'Erythrós shall curse you!'

The curse itself was muttered in Levichian, although Levichians favor the deities of the sea. This was because, Erythrós is the God of Death, and was associated with the origin of Wylola's Curse, a rare disease called as it is for it has no cure. Thus, 'Krytash' became a famous expression of hate.

"Those men might be from Levich," is what she told Xander.

Yet, he left the investigation to Ysivan and the others. He and a few of his trusted men were off to Alcotta with Diana. It was all under the pretense of visiting his fiance's territory and formally transferring to her the title as Baroness. It is also a royalty's responsibility to attend burial ceremonies for the vassals.

For Xander, who killed Michael with his own hands, it was ironic.

Xander closed his eyes and breathed the scent of the sea, as he stood by the deck of Hudithe II, an old ship owned by the Alcottas. Although they could have used the Royal ships, Xander changed his mind at the last minute.

In truth, he was decisive. All their things were secretly stored by the ship that was waiting for them by the pier, as planned. Hudithe II may be old, with faded colors and creaking sounds as it swayed to the waves. But he had more chances of not sinking here, than the Royal ship the queen might have tampered with.

Aside from the crashing of waves and the songs of the seagulls, laughter erupted from the captain, Old Santos, who might have too much to drink. Xander was currently initiated, as per captain's words, "If he's brave enough for M'Lady Diana!"

And so, the drinking began hours ago. Diana then handed him a cup of something warm, while the kitchen lady scolded Old Santos and the crew.

There was a time that Xander lived as a commoner, and the same scene had brought him back to those days. Alcotta may be poor, but a noble is a noble. However, Diana has attained her dignity without borders. It was clear that her people adored her so, even though she was an Alcotta through her mother's marriage.  The way they were expressive and natural with Xander and his trusted vassals, reflected in how Diana treated her people.

Sometimes, a discreet grin would escape him, listening to their conversation, with an accent emphasized on 'r' and rythm that someone would think they are angry.

"Bah, let me celebrate!" The captain said. He was a man of the sun with a beard outlined in his face. Despite his tan, his face was red from the alcohol. "That Lord Michael was a leech, excuse the language M'Lady, but he was. Looking at you with those dirty eyes, gambling... I'm glad he's dead for sure!"

There was no reply from Diana. Instead, she persuaded Old Santos to surrender. "You would never win against him," she said, glancing at Xander knowingly.

"Why this boy, you love alcohol, yeah? You drink a lot, my prince?"

Xander's body that has been conditioned against poison, alcohol would not affect him much. "I have a high tolerance."

"You never got drunk?"

"I did, once." Despite it all, he was not invincible. There were still substances that he was not adequately protected. ¹*Aphrodisiacs, for example. "Four years ago."

Diana's teacup slipped from her hand, the same time the ship swayed to the left. Luckily, she was able to grip the handle, and only a few drops spilled.

Before Xander could ask, the watcher with his telescope screamed from the mast post above. "Black Flag ahead! It's a Black Flag!"

As if the word itself was freezing waters that woke everyone.

A black-flagged ship does not recognize nor represent any accountable authority. It meant that the vessel does not accept any maritime laws.

"Pirates." Diana, who just a second ago, was frozen like a scared dog, jumped up from her seat and barked orders. "Raise our flag higher! Make sure they recognize the emblem!"

The rest of the crew went to their stations. "My lady, how about you?" Old Santos asked who seemed to have recovered from drunkenness.

She grasped her hair and in a precise and swift motion, tied it into a bun, a few tendrils on her face. "I will steer the wheel."

For a moment, Xander did not recognize her. The woman he danced days ago was more vibrant in the sea than in the royal ball.

"Guide the prince and the rest to the cabins." Diana looked straight at Xander. "Don't go out until I say so."

"Change the course," he opposed. "Hide your flag and let others steer the wheel."

The capital, which is also a port city, had long been fighting against sea looters and pirates. However, the Alcotta Isles, which was a little farther from the city and was more isolated, had never reported piracy. They assumed that sea trade was rare and small in the area that even pirates avoid it.

Yet, they are facing the same crisis now.

"Turn the ship around," he added. The ship, Hudithe II, is small. Still, with the distance, they can outsail the bigger pirate vessel. But it would be a problem if the latter were powered with spirit stones harvested from the monsters.

The North rich with these stones was ruled by Duke Norvillon and was strict with the distribution of the stones. Xander hoped that was the case. Hudithe II seemed to have not kept any spirit stones as they were expensive. To think that Diana will steer the wheel as a captain and expose herself, scenarios played in his head.

"Trust me. We've done this before," she said. "Hide."

The crew had no shred of doubt, and he had never seen her so sure ever since she declared him king.

"My lady? The Black Flag is closing in!" the watcher screamed.

Xander fought stares with Diana. She was the same woman who hit the intruder with her shoe and pretended to be alright, until the maids reported about the bruises on her back and elbow. She even commanded him, far from her usual courteous replies. "Fine. But just so you know, I'm swimming away at first sight of trouble. I won't save you."

Diana smiled. "I can swim extremely well, Your Highness."

While they were running towards the cabin to hide, the last thing Xander saw was Diana's small back, her dress dancing in the wind as she climbed up to the captain's platform.

"Full speed ahead!" her voice rang in the wind.

A ship has sailed...literally 😂 Welcome aboard. Please recommend this story to others. Thank you. 🥰

1. aph​ro​di​si​ac

noun
aph·​ro·​di·​si·​ac | \ ˌa-frə-ˈdē-zē-ˌak , -ˈdi-zē-  \
: an agent (such as a food or drug) that arouses or is held to arouse sexual desire